PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clunk

Lurker
Apr 9, 2012
The tax we in the U.K. pay on pipe tobacco is $147.5 (£98.01) on each 2.2 pound of the stuff.
Does anyone pay anymore?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
NYC adds an additional 75% after all the other taxes.

Oh, and now they don't want you to smoke in your own apartment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vCww3j2-w

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
What rate do I pay?
--- The "Other Tobacco Products" tax rate is 95% of the taxable sales price.
--- For cigars, except little cigars, 95% of the taxable sales price of cigars not to exceed $0.65 per cigar.
--- "Little cigars" are taxed at the same rate per unit as cigarettes - $0.15125 per stick or $3.025 per pack of twenty.
--- Moist snuff is taxed based on the net weight listed by the manufacturer at the rate of $2.526 per single unit of 1.2 ounces or less and at a proportionate rate for larger single units.
from the Washington State Department of Revenue.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
We pay $450 kg tobacco tax. absolutely hideous prices and smoking of all kinds is discouraged here. we can import tobacco and sometimes it gets through without tax, and even if it does get hit it is still a few dollars cheaper than buying here and you get alot more choice.

Jul 4, 2012
I also feel the sting of the tobacco taxes in NYC. Sillems and W.O. Larson have some great selections that I enjoy, they are also a bit on the pricey side to begin with. The 75% NYC tax brings a tin to about a staggering $28 sadly this means I can only afford to buy this maybe twice a year. The Dunhill and GLP blends I do smoke on a regular basis run me about 15-16.50 per tin :(

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Here in Ontario Canada as an example...a tine of tobacco is 25.00 and 67% is tax

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Alaska taxes pipe tobacco at 75% the wholesale price. If some retailers weren't marking up 300% and up, it would be okay. I don't mind paying $4 for bulk ounces at one shop, but I do mind paying $40 for a tin of Peterson at the other. Funny thing is the third shop sells the same Peterson tins for $25.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
rcstan gets hooped not only because of the distance from the continental U.S., but also because he doesn't really have the option of jumping in the car and heading down the highway to the next state, since the next state would be Canadian (British Columbia or the Yukon); both of which tax the hell out of their residents.
Well, not only that, but I can say with a certainty that there are no decent tobacconists between Prince George and Whitehorse...and certainly none along the small towns dotting the Canadian side of the Alaska Highway (I'm from Fort Nelson / Mile 300 originally).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here in Florida it is 85% on the wholesale price. Needless to say I buy all mine on line. Eventually the tax man is going to hit the on line sellers and then all hell will break loose.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
the tax man is going to hit the on line sellers and then all hell will break loose.
And I have no problems with that. Lil Brown Smoke Shack on the reservation in WA already collects tax for the State of Alaska. A tin of Sasieni, for example, would cost me something in the realm of $12 plus freight. Without tax is something like $8 plus freight. At the rate I'm smoking ( something like 5-6 ounces a month ) it would not make a big difference.
@schmitzbitz ...... in my income bracket, I would probably be better off in YT or anywhere in Canada, and the price of pipe baccy would be a non-issue, all other things considered ..... maybe I should have put this in a PM since the subject of taxes vs benefits is a touchy issue here
103469d1316030180deadhorsetestdead_horse_display.gif

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
i don't even know what the tax rate is in texas--it's pretty darned high, but not nearly what some have mentioned--
all i know is i saw Prince Albert at forty eight dollars and change for a tub--couldn't tell if it was 12 or 14 oz.--behind locked doors of course--(but the OTC medicines that are abused by the kids are left open--does that make sense?)
i am layin' in supplies, not wide, but pretty deep in the blends that i smoke--basically 4 blends--some others i cellar much less deeply because i don't smoke 'em very often--they are sorta like a light dessert after dinner--
the time is coming i fear where internet sales will be taxed as normal sales tax in addition to a tax specifically on the internet part of the sale it's self--the greed in the state and national capitols will never be sated--
i hope to have enough soon to last me until i pass on to the other life---whatever is left over, if any, i hope my family will give to a deserving pipe man-- BUT i believe i am going to request my family bury me with my old Kaywoodie bulldog and 4 oz of 'Old joe'-- just in case-- :)

lateeno

Lurker
Jul 11, 2012
Not sure about the taxes here in Kuwait , but ..
In case if u buy your tobacco online , they will tax u 100% of sales price .

For example , one (10 $ ) tin online , will cost ( sale price + inner ship price + world wide ship price + 100% tax of sales price ) = Somewhere around 40 to 45 $
Only one quality brand is retailed here , which is Davidoff . A 50g tin of Royalty is for ( 20 $ ), those tins are not easy to find 365 days though ! You might spend 2 or 3 months puffing the air due to importing issues .

On the other hand , A 50g pouch of the drugstore pouches is for 6.220 $ , talking about Captain Black - Borkem Riff - Amphora and Clan ( the only drugstore brands available inhere ) .
Puffing Is Loving

Status
Not open for further replies.