PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
June 30, 2011
Dear Mr. Tannen,
Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the Tobacco Tax Parity Act. It is important for me to have the benefit of your views, and I appreciate the time you have taken to contact me.
As you know, this legislation amends tax law to make the excise tax on pipe tobacco equal to the tax on roll-your-own tobacco. I understand your concerns that this bill would result in an increase in the tax rate per pound of pipe tobacco from the current $2.83 to $24.78, which is almost an 800 percent increase.
I also acknowledge your concern that such an increase would be harmful to the pipe tobacco industry and that pipe tobacco should therefore be treated for tax purposes as different category than roll-your-own tobacco.
The Tobacco Tax Parity Act has not been re-introduced in the current session of Congress. I do not intend to cosponsor the bill and will keep your views in mind if it is considered by the House of Representatives.
Thank you again for sharing your views and concerns. I encourage you to visit my website at www.timbishop.house.gov and sign up for my e-newsletter for more information and to find out about other important issues that I am working on in Congress. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.
Sincerely,
Tim Bishop

Member of Congress

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
WOW mr tannen that tax hike is HUGE what a jump from the $2 to $24 that would be enough to drive pipe smoking into the history books if it were happen. Let's hope the government don't introduce it.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Let's hope the government don't introduce it.

They already did. The dollar amounts cited are from a bill that was introduced last year. It didn't get through, but I have no doubt that they will keep trying.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I received a generic "thank you for contacting me" reply from Mr Schumer and have had no response from my Congresswoman Ms. Gillibrand......... just as I expected........... :x

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I doubt they are discouraged at all and since this is a revenue issue I would assume it will appear again and again.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Some corrections are in order here. Firstly, Mr. Tannen is how my congressman writes to me. You guys should call me Marty. Secondly, Rickpal14 as a fellow New York pipe smoker you probably know that Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand are our US Senators. I just did not want any other guys confused. I can't imagine that the bill would ever pass, however, we should all periodically remind our elected officials to quit pipe dreaming.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I can't imagine that the bill would ever pass, however, we should all periodically remind our elected officials to quit pipe dreaming.
Let's hope it never passes, I'm sure it would put a real hurting on the hobby.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks Marty! Just went back to my email list and I also sent a letter to my Representative Paul Tonko.... No word from him either.....

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
While there is no doubt the tax increase is to create more revenue, they have to realize there are limits to what a person will spend. If its raised too high, people will simply stop buying and/or seek other means. I'll start smoking dandilions or something.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
It is refreshing to see a member of Congress to use something other than Form Letter 217TT to respond to you. In fact it looks like he actually took time to give you a real response. We will see where all this leads eventually.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Schumer?? When are you people gonna get rid of that liberal #$*()!??

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
While I don't agree with ALL of Schumer's stands politically, most of his stands I agree with completely, and those outweigh the ones I don't. Until something better comes along, Chuck has my vote.
-Jason

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I agree with lordnoble. I don't always agree with Chuck Schumer, but he is a good man, an intelligent Senator and I respect him. I have heard him speak in person and I trust his judgement and his devotion to our government not just his party, and this country. He has wisdom and a healthy dose of common sense. He is a man who is well connected to his constituents.
Unfortunately, I wish I could say the same for John Boehner Speaker of our House of Representatives. He seems, in my judgement, to be missing the mark on all of the personal qualities that I find in Chuck Schumer.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
So I sent the letter to my senator awhile back, this is the wonderful form letter I got back.
Dear Mr. Ference,
Thank you for contacting me regarding taxes on pipe tobacco. As we work in the Senate to meet the enormous challenges facing this country, including efforts to strengthen our economy, create new private sector jobs , reduce the federal deficit and establish energy independence, your views and those of your fellow Virginians are very important to me.
I am honored to serve Virginia as your United States Senator. My top priority in the Senate is to provide efficient and effective constituent service to all Virginians. Please be sure that my office will review your comments carefully as I consider and vote on relevant legislation.
Again, thank you for contacting me. For further information or to sign up for my newsletter please visit my website at http://warner.senate.gov .
Sincerely,

MARK R. WARNER

United States Senator

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
With the situation as is now few folks in Washington have assurance of keeping their jobs.Maybe they want to upset as few voters as possible and this will just go away.Of course to believe this one would have to assume that politicans can think logicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.