PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
Oppose Federal Tax Increase on Premium Cigars & Pipe Tobacco
U.S Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Senate Finance Committee Chair Ron Wyden (D-OR), along with U.S. Representative Raja Krishnamoorthi (IL-D-08) , introduced the bicameral Tobacco Tax Equity Act of 2021. The bill has been referred to the Senate Finance Committee and is co-sponsored by several other Democrats. The legislation would raise the taxes on all tobacco products to the same rate as cigarettes, and then double it! This would present a massive increase on both premium cigars and pipe tobacco. It is important for retailers, employees, and consumers to push back against this second massive tax increase introduced at the federal level in recent months.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210424-072606.jpg
    Screenshot_20210424-072606.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 8

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I worry about stuff like this. I feel like it's the best of times and worst of times for pipe tobacco. Lots of variety, easy to buy online, and so much cheaper here in the US than other countries. But great companies are going out of business, much loved tobaccos are disappearing, and government threats loom over us. I have the same feeling as when I see a bad storm coming.

I have taken note of the saying that tobacco will never be cheaper than it is right now. I'm following the advice of those who say cellar deep.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Ridiculous. I'd say contact your reps, but personal experience has taught me that if you're not clamoring for more of this woke garbage no one in government cares. Let em pass their stupid taxes, just don't pay em! If I were a tobacco company I'd just move shop and say sorry, not worth it. You want to tax people to death, say goodbye to my revenue and jobs. Oh what's that? You'll just follow Canada's model and legalize cannabis? Yeah, because that didn't legitimize entire swathes of the criminal underworld or anything. I'm sure they're reporting their earning transparently...

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
You can always self-identify as a Native American to get around this.

We get the government we vote for and deserve.

iVotedForKodos.gif

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
It'll likely die in committee, like all the other bills do.
I hope you are right but there is always that risk. Ohio has an excise tax now that I have to pay on every internet order and its insane. My last order from smoking pipes added 43.73 to my order between Ohio tax and our excise tax. Its coming folks, better get loud if not for your sake for the sake of others. I'm still cellaring like a mad squirrel but I think a lot of folks are also which is why we can't get the good stuff unless you are Johnny on the spot. I've sent my emails and letters to my legislators.

Blackmouth210

Lurker
Apr 17, 2021
Durbin has introduced this bill every session, for the last several years... I wouldn’t get too worried.

...and the bill gets zero support when introduced, every time.

But...

1. It's easier for people to get worked up than it is to get informed.
2. Nothing sells copy or drives traffic to a site like fear mongering.

So we go through this every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.