PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradarcher

Lurker
Jan 13, 2018
The pipe I got is a shire cobbit. It's unfiltered. It will be my first tobacco experience with a pipe. I have smoked cigs before but they taste like ass and I was wanting something I could enjoy more

P

pipebuddy

Corn cob pipes are inexpensive and could either work for you or drive you away from smoking a pipe.

Consequently, my opinion is: Falcon pipes are more suited for beginners than corn cobs.

Bowls such as the Apple and Dover are just right for a half decent sized bowl.

As you were smoking cigs you will want something with some backbone.

Try some C & D Haunted Bookshop or Old Joe Krantz for starters. It will provide you with the nicotine.

Eventually you will want to explore less nicotine intake and, having started to develop a sense of taste, you will ant to explore various mixtures.

tradarcher

Lurker
Jan 13, 2018
Well the only reason I went with the cobbit shire was it was cheap and it had a longer stem which I thought may be necessary due to my long beard.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, MM 965, and London Mixture were some blends I started with. The Dunhill ribbon comes at the right moisture level and is easy to pack and smoke. These aren't high in nicotine but you sound like you don't smoke a lot of cigs so the heavier nicotine blends like Nightcap and OJK might be a bit strong for you as a starter.

Jun 27, 2016
I did what alan73 recommends. I would include constituent tobaccos as well. Originally I had a bunch of McClelland VAs, Perique, a bunch of Burleys, Blended Turkish Ribbon, and their Cyprian Latakia, and those helped me to start figuring out what I liked or didn't like within blends. More recently I have been going through more specific Oriental components. With a bunch of constituents you can smoke 'em straight, mix 'em up, or add 'em to a bought blend to see what happens.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Personally, I would go to tobaccoreviews.com and start reading reviews like a madman. You'll inevitably come across a few reviews that pique your curiosity.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd avoid all Dunhill products and concentrate on American blends, of which there are many fine ones. John Cotton's No.1 is a good one, has just a touch of Latakia IRRC>

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are looking for a special treat and you want to buy an English blend, I might suggest Nat Sherman 536, one of the most refined mild English blends, slight nicotine, no bite, some complexity, and it's not going to put a beginner off pipe smoking. It's available through various of our online sponsors, and of course at the Nat Sherman shop in Manhattan, for those in that neighborhood.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
Just started the pipe myself and i found the Dunhill brands great,i like a tobacco you can more or less smoke straight from the tin.I have tried a few flakes also and found they need drying before smoking,i was having trouble keeping my pipe lit until the guys on here mentioned about moisture content and now i am more or less sorted,just need 2 or 3 more Dr Grabows for my rotation and i will be as happy as Larry.Also Cobs are an excellent pipe for beginners,i have about 6 of them.You will always get good advice on here and they will steer you in the right direction.The guys on the forum are a pretty good bunch but don't tell them i said so. :D
Wiz

Dec 28, 2015
Personally I would stay away from the American over the counter blends (Carter Hall included). In my opinion none of them are really all that good and as has been said by someone above it could turn you off the pipe. Some blends I would recommend for beginners are:
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (for a light English)

Balkan Sassieni (a nice mild Balkan)

Frog Morton Cellar (a good crossover blend)

Luxury Navy Flake (easy to smoke Va Flake)

Orlik Golden Sliced (same as above)

Country Squire Cherokee (One of the few Aeros I like)
But what do I know.... I sometimes use a microwave to dry my Samuel Gawith flakes?!

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Definitely get a selection of blend types. If you start with just Carter Hall or another OTC you may never want to pick up a pipe again. Or you might never want to smoke anything else, who knows.
So buy in bulk 1oz each of a Latakia blend, a straight Virginia, an aromatic flavor you like (vanilla is easy), and a burley blend. If you're on a budget, click on the P&C promo that often appears on this page, advertising Lane bulk blends for $1.25 per oz. You could get HGL, BCA (or Dark Red, which is basically BCA with cherry), Burley Without Bite, and one of the various vanilla or cherry blends they have. The only straight VA is an aro, though (MV-1000). Four blends will set you back all of $5, and there are usually free shipping codes if you search or ask here.

methomp

Lurker
Sep 22, 2016
I'm pretty new too.

I would echo the Lane 1-Q. BUT... try Frog Morton "On the Town". Mildest of the Frog Morton series. Wonderfully cool smoke Great taste. Not just a pleasant smell.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's difficult to gauge what another person will find agreeable. If you try something with more nicotine punch, like Dunhill Nightcap, I'd start with a third or half bowl and puff slowly, and do this after a good meal and beverages to hydrate. You may be highly tolerant of nicotine, and this may be unnecessary, but it would be a shame to get put off pipe smoking by diving into a tobacco that makes you light headed and/or sick. Just be respectful of nicotine until you have some experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.