PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
TC_99647_ET002786_0.jpg

I just bought a one pound tin of Mac Baren The Solent Mixture. It came a 'tube' like the one in the picture. I don't know the age on it. Should I open it and store the tobacco in jars, or leave it in the tube?
Realistically I would be popping it anyway, to smoke it, in 12-18 months. Should I pop and store now, or then? Does the plastic 'can' keep the moisture in?
Thanks.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Jars. Often said that both moisture and those undefined "volatile essences" that carry the flavor will evaporate from anything else.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I would personally jar it myself. It’s a cool container though so I would have it out on display and maybe fill it up with loose change and then you can buy more with the change you accrued.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Jar 80% of it and keep 20% in that container to smoke now. Plastic is not the perfect material for long term storage. Marion jars are cheap and the process of jarring is easy.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
What hoosierpipeguy says. I've had to throw away tobacco that I kept in plastic containers and then it dried crumbly dry. I also thought that I could store toby for short/medium term in jars with rubber seals, only to have the tobacco end up drying up too.
Mason jars are all I use now.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I say, use Mason jars. The plastic tube is a nice, light weight, product presentation (altho I think it's a bit kitschy), but like saltedplug and GL Pease say, certain organic molecules can pass right thru the plastic.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Yea I would jar in a Mason Jar and put it away from the sunlight. With plastics you just don't know the composition of how they are made and I wouldn't trust it for long term storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.