PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2012
so I picked up an ounce of Buttered Rum tobacco from the local smokeshop.

And I smoked it twice, loved the taste, then didn't smoke it for 3 days, after 3 days (was sealed in a ziplock bag)

I smoked it again, and it smoked fine, but the smell was sour when I finished smoking it, and the stem smelled sour.
what's the deal here?

I'm resting my pipes and taking care of them, but this is happening -__-.

Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
My Rinaldo is that way. Every third bowl it needs to be taken apart and cleaned with Everclear otherwise it smokes sour. Some pipes are just needy.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Just use a bunch of alcohol soaked pipe cleaners. Or maybe do an alcohol and cotton ball soak.
If that doesn't help... nothing will! lol :puffy:

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Yeah if the smell doesnt go away sent it to the OBGYN...oh wait thats your pipe not your wife sorry. :rofl:
Both are good Alcohal cleaning and retorts. I did have a pipe with a nasty bend in it that did that and I put a soaked alcohal pipe cleaner in it over night and it worked great for about 6-10 bowls. something to try.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
Using Rum, dark rum I find works out great to sweeten the bowl. I generally do this about every 5 bowls now. Just dip your pipe cleaner in the rum so it's damp, run it along the inside of the bowl and stem, then dry with a new pipe cleaner, wait a few days and you should be good.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I have even used 151 and set it on fire after the cleaners been removed. Surprised it didn't blow up, but it did burn most everything out of it. Of course the stem was not attached.

Feb 16, 2012
thanks guys for all the responses! I just ran pipe cleaners dipped in whiskey through my stems, and damped the bowls a bit. hopefully that'll fix them!

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Gent at the my local pipe store told me I could fill the bowl with alcohol overnight... dump and then let it dry out. I had the same problem with a Sav I bought for my dad on ebay. Dang thing stunk when I unpacked it. I know now what a sour pipe smells like. However I simply swabbed it out real good with some Goslings rum and I thought it did the trick. My dad even said it smelled sour. Of course I found out about the bowl filling after I shipped it to pops.

Status
Not open for further replies.