PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldwillow

Lurker
Mar 2, 2020
Hi all,

I'm wondering you have any recommendations for something like Peter Stokkebye's Amsterdam Shag.

I tried the pipe cut No 83, it's smooth and creamy but it doesn't have the same flavor as the shag cut. I've tried cutting it up in a blender to see if it changes the flavor but it's not the same.

Reactions: danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm no help, but I can't help asking, why would you want a match when it is readily available? Just puzzled. I have an open jar recently purchased.

Reactions: Bowie

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Oh! Never tried that blend . But what an evocative name. Reminds my of my European walkabout between high school and college.

Reactions: btp79 and BROBS

Oldwillow

Lurker
Mar 2, 2020
I started off smoking cigarettes with Camels and Malboros until I discovered halfwarez. Samson and Bali were good until I found the Amsterdam.

Reactions: danimalia

Oldwillow

Lurker
Mar 2, 2020
Sorry, not sure how to delete the previous but it was cut off. Anyway, since the Amsterdam, it's been my go to but I think now's a good chance to start exploring with baby steps by branching off from this flavor profile

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Ok I understand now. You’re just looking for similar tobacco.

try Gawith Hoggarth Burley and Bright. ?

Reactions: Oldwillow

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Stokkebye Amsterdam Shag was my jam back when I handrolled cigarettes. D&R Ryback is indeed similar, but not the same (less/different casings, I suspect). I would try MacBaren Bold Kentucky as well. GHC's Dark Birdseye is close, and Kendal Kentucky is basically just 100% KY leaf, but it's also a good blend. The problem you're going to run into is that halfzwares are usually, well, half dark-fired Kentucky. That's more than most pipe blends contain.

If you are looking for subtle tastes like this, you might try Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake. It is a different cut, but a Virginia Cavendish with caramel coconut. The taste is still tobacco forward, but with a unique subtle sweetness. While the taste and cut (smoking properties) are different, I think coming from Amsterdam Shag you will find it a nice change.

Status
Not open for further replies.