PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
Just in case people were wondering if prices were still as bad, well they are. Yesterday i went to the B&M in Halifax and bought a 50g Peterson Sunset Breeze, $20.95 before taxes. Smokingpipes.com price, $9.00.
I think the next time i go sailing down south i will be stocking up and packing my locker to the gunwales.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
The thing about travelling and buying tobacco is that you are still bound by border restrictions so there is only so much you can bring back unless you are constantly taking long trips across the border...
And I will also say that I think everyone up here in Canada shouldn't take their B&M stores for granted, even if you do order primarily from elsewhere. I'd love to have a place like Blatter & Blatter in my backyard; I'd still do some business there just because they were a great resource to have. (I enjoyed visiting them on my last trip to Montreal - picked up a nice few tins even though the prices were about $25 per 50g)
Unfortunately, there aren't any real tobacconists around here and it is a damn shame. (I don't count cigarette stores attached to Sobeys or Loblaws) If you want a pouch of Captain Black it'll run you $35. Drum RYO was $31 when I price checked it for a laugh at a local convenience store. That's what you get in a captive market without tobacconists...

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Ouch... Don't get me wrong, I don't approve of the tobacco taxes but I just wanted to show a sign of support for the few decent tobacconists that have managed to survive this long. We only have the government to thank for this situation.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I do indeed support my local (98 miles away) tobacconist and plan to visit and purchase regularly. However for some items that are unique or that we are unable to get here, I will be supporting my brothers to the South. Besides, they seem to appreciate some economic stimulus as much as anyone.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
$50 is highway robbery so I wouldn't blame you personally if you never again bought a single gram of tobacco from a local source... With that said, that's probably how much a good blend would cost around here.
I agree, spending money south of the border won't go astray these days. Hopefully you get access to some great blends.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
And I will also say that I think everyone up here in Canada shouldn't take their B&M stores for granted, even if you do order primarily from elsewhere. I'd love to have a place like Blatter & Blatter in my backyard; I'd still do some business there just because they were a great resource to have. (I enjoyed visiting them on my last trip to Montreal - picked up a nice few tins even though the prices were about $25 per 50g)
Around here the tobacconists are mostly cigar stores that also sell a bit of pipe tobacco. I have no loyalty to a B&M that I don't use in any way, shape or form. I took 1 trip to my local tobacconist, got 2 packs of pipe cleaners, a tamper and a tin of tobacco = $70!!! Then I bought some stuff from online: 5 tins of tobacco, 5 packs of pipe cleaners, 3 corn cobs = $70 (+shipping). Online tobacconists it is! :D

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
There's a really nice little B&M up the road from my work and the guy there literally told me to just go order off the internet. He has a couple of bulk blends and some consignment estate pipes, but aside from that he just can't afford what it costs to do much in the way of pipe tobacco here in TX. I do try to check in with him from time to time to see what pipes he's selling, and he's really nice to shoot the crap with, but he readily admits that the state screwed him out of the pipe tobacco biz.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
Sounds like the same situation as Australia. The only tobacco readily available is borkum riff and captain black, $50 a pouch. The few tobacconists in capital cities stock Peterson tobacco also $50 for 50grams. I order online from 4noggins, he is a master of international shipping. As damnyak mentioned the shipping is very high (just over $20 for 2 tins) but pipesandcigars is even more expensive and are not very good with international shipments. It is definately alot cheaper than buying locally though so give it a go.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I guess what I was trying to say is that if there are still good stores left in your area, it is nice if you can frequent them in some way. I know that isn't the case for most of us - hell, I haven't bought anything locally in 2 years. As kabong points out, the tobacconists can be great guys who are just put in a bad situation by the powers that be.
Personally, I don't think I can ever enjoy going to a smoke shop where you can't browse the bloody products yourself, and all of the tobacco is kept under lock and key behind frosted glass. It's utterly juvenile; walk next door to the liquor store and you'll see Caramilk liqueurs and Bacardi Breezers in all colours of the rainbow gaudily displayed...
Everyone here knows the online options, so we can consider ourselves lucky. I remember when I first signed up in 2010 there was a lot of uncertainty about this subject; now we know where to go and how much we can buy.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
The situation up here is a real shame. I'm sure all of us would love to not only support our local B+M's more often, but would also order online from a Canadian company if possible. I'm grateful for the terrific service and prices I've received from the U.S. suppliers I've ordered from, but I really resent the fact that if I want to shop local I'm forced to pay prices that are extremely out of line.
I still make a point to buy a tin locally once in awhile, but it really irks me when I do the math in my head and add up everything I can order online from the U.S. for that price. Even if I was made of money, I'd have a hard time justifying paying those prices.
Also, how many of us here have dreamt of running their own B+M? Hard to think it would be a good business move at this point...

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Damn...after reading what you pay for your tobacco I feel guilty that I'm pissed at my B&M for charging 18.00 for a tin, when I can get it online for 12.00...I knew taxes were bad, but not that bad...Hpopefully they don't get crazy here in california!!!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
ghost,

I was thinking about opening a B&M the other day but it was along the lines of musings like "what if pigs could fly" rather than an actual ambition... I think it'd be a good way to part with a lot of money. If Canada bans "flavouring" in pipe tobacco then it'd be game over. I hate the laws as they exist today.
I'm the same way - it's nice to support a local guy but I agree it is not practical as long as the US channels are open.
sjpipesmoker, if legislators get their way then you could very well face our situation. That $18 tin could easily be $50 if those with antismoking agendas take over.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Some people like to play the free healthcare card but it is definitely not that simple. We've allowed ourselves to become complacent with lawmakers, and they are drunk on public funds. Alcohol, tobacco, and gambling are the easiest pickings of all and surprisingly few people will take a stand about the erosion of their rights and their income.
I support socialized medicine in my country but I do not support the offloading of so much costs on "sin taxes" when the government could be finding more efficiencies and making sure that our tax dollars were better spent.
I don't know if it is sustainable or not with reforms but the coming decades will tell that tale. The issue is too complex for me to really delve into because I don't have the background to have a detailed debate about it... The reality is that nobody has answers when it comes to health care.
All I can say is that it's not fair to push the burden entirely upon smokers and drinkers just to suit the government's neo-prohibitionist agendas...
We had socialized medicine in Canada for 30 years before they started to push all the antismoking propaganda down our throats. People are living longer, chronic diseases will grow as a result, and health care costs will skyrocket no matter what you do. When there aren't any smokers or drinkers left who will they blame the astronomical costs on then? Eaters, look out...

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
All my orders that came through Boswells have never been taxed or dutied. I've been charged with smokingpipes but not pipesandcigars i believe, it's been a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.