PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
And what about tobaccos with flavorings, like vanilla, cherry, etc.?
Sutliff Creme Brulee is a nice bulk aromatic, it's similar to Sutliff Molto Dolce...my favorite aromatic. Molto Dolce will crackle and pop while you smoke it if you don't dry it a bit.

Aug 28, 2018
I'm new to pipe smoking as well and will suggest Lane Limited BCA for a good beginner smoke. If you want some good sweet tobacco with vanilla, caramel/butterscotch taste, try Lane Limited Vanilla Black Cavendish.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, I just came back from having a bowl of BCA and I beg to differ: it's one of those blends that won't dry no matter what, very goopy—so much so in fact that it's about the only blend that stains my fingers brown when I handle it—. In spite of that, it does burn with relative consistency to the fabled 'fine white ash', and it's unlikely to bite, and it does have a nice taste... which is anon taken away by a strong chemical after-taste, which I'm guessing is all the humectants they add to it.
Nice tin and room note, but I don't think I'll be buying Lane's Bad Chemical Aftertaste again.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Morning, invoxx! :) Unfortunately I can't help much with suppliers, sorry. :( However I can definitely cast a vote with Duane (chasing embers) on Cult Blood Red Moon & the others. CAO also makes a blend called Cherrybomb. I don't usually advise people *against* a particular blend, but in this case I have to -- stay away from Cherrybomb, at least at first. It takes a lot of drying to keep it from smoking wet & sour.
Some blends add glycol or other "goop" to their blends to help keep them from drying too much & too soon. Olkofri & I are definitely of a mind on that. If I have to spend too much time or effort in getting something ready to smoke, it becomes not *worth* my time.... (BTW, ask carolinachurchwarden his opinion on Captain Black; he'll have some [ahem] "choice words" on the subject!)
Bill

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
Hello everyone! Thank you so much for the advices! I still have issues finding a place to get those tobaccos, but I am solving this problem.
I have one more question though. In the local shop I've bought Peterson Connoiseur's Choice, which is an aromatic too. The smell from the can is insanely good. Like, really. But when I smoke it I get nothing. Some aftersmell a bit, but no aromatic taste. The tobacco taste is gòod, but there is nothing like I had from the raw tobacco smell.
Is that normal, and no tobaccos give a real taste of aromas? Am I just having false expectations, thinking that I will get real tastes, like with shishas?
Or there are some tobaccos that can give that?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yep, that's normal. It takes time to develop a palate that will allow you to taste what you smell.
That being said, I've found two blends that to my budding palate have tasted just as they smell off the tin: Vauen's Auenland The Shire, and Sillem's Black.

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
Did you dry it before smoking? Moisture will subdue the flavors.
I actually didn't, but it doesn't seem wet to be honest.
I was hoping for more shisha/Capt. Black cigarettes taste from aromated ones :) Guess it was just my false expectations :) I still like the tobacco though.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I was surprised when I found out how much drying my tobacco needs before I get full flavor and burn. I'll leave a tin open for days and the tobacco will still contain some moisture. Dry it more than you think you should and then some.

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
I was surprised when I found out how much drying my tobacco needs before I get full flavor and burn. I'll leave a tin open for days and the tobacco will still contain some moisture. Dry it more than you think you should and then some.
Thank you, I will give it a try! Though there is no taste at all there, so I don't put my hopes on getting something I was expecting anyways)
Hi the website is thebackshop.co.uk they are fast and reliable. Hope this helps
Thank you Piper! I tried this website and it actually sells back pain solutions :) Not sure it was the one you wanted to link me :)

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
One thing I also found on the internet, is that I might be just smoking wrong, for example, too hot. And that hot smoking kills the taste too. Maybe that is the issue.
Seems like I have a long long learning process in front of me :)
Also, can it be that the briar pipe gives more taste than the cob?
And I've heard that Missouri Meerschaum Cob Legend is way too short and because of that the smoke is hotter. Maybe it is worth getting a briar pipe and learn on it?

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I had an excellent smoke last night , I dried the tobacco a little longer, packed a little tighter , used matches and smoked on a Peterson .
I’m thinking also a bit higher humidity and lower air temp helped .

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
You definitely should get a good quality briar, or two, or three, or... Keep your cobs around as briar needs to rest between smokes.
Re: stem length, I think as long as it's not a nosewarmer you should be OK. S'posedly, longer stems cool the smoke, but this is not a hard rule. I find my churchwarden more bitey than my pipes with average-sized stems.

donata664

Lurker
Aug 30, 2018
Hi Guys, Im kinda new here and I have a question. Is anyone of you ever tried smoking cannabis on your pipes for anxiety? I've been suffering with anxiety for almost 7 months now and can't sleep properly at night. They said that medical cannabis is very effective when it comes to pain. At first I was doubtful so I started doing my own research and read articles about marijuana. I found out that each marijuana strain has different uses for different diseases. Like this strain www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/identify-marijuana-plant-problems/. This one is very effective when it comes to stress and mild anxiety. If this is true I would gladly want to hear any of your experience and thoughts regarding this. Thanks in advance.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
As interesting a topic medical cannabis is, this place is dedicated to pipes, pipe tobacco and whatever is relevant to them. There are plenty of other fora for cannabis related stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.