PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think the relevant questions for you are a) how often do you smoke, and b) what do you consider a "reasonable price"?
As redglow said, this is (or can be) an amazingly affordable hobby. A 50 gram tin of tobacco will give you something on the order of 17 bowls. Yes, I know the average bowl size varies, as does the cut of various tobaccos, but 3 grams per bowl is the usual standard for a slow smoke, and in fact pretty much fills the average bowl.
Tobacco prices vary widely, but 50g tins of high quality tobaccos on sale (and sales on one brand or another are almost constant) generally run $8-12 each; that works out to maybe $0.50 to $0.65 per bowl. According to the survey floating around last week, over half the respondents smoke 1 or less bowls per day on average. I have friends who smoke over a dozen bowls a day; that would add up to a lot over the course of a year, maybe $2k (although still cheap compared to cigarettes). I know others who smoke a couple of times a week; that amounts to pocket change, more like $50-75/year. And if you go with one of the bulks on sale as mentioned above, you can cut those numbers in half or more.
So what's "reasonable" really depends on how often you smoke and your overall budget. I'm in the smoke-rarely camp. I can smoke pretty much whatever I like without regard to price because the absolute number of tins I go through in a typical year is small. YMMV

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How you smoke suggests how to keep tobacco purchases thrifty. If you smoke one, two or three bowls a day, pouches are a good way to sample blends. A selection of pouch blends will keep you going for a while. If you smoke for longer stretches, or all day, the bulk or bag tobacco makes sense. Tubs are good, but you can buy a 16 oz. bag for half or less than a 12 or 14 oz tub in many brands.

tjsgarden

Lurker
Feb 22, 2019
West Monroe, LA, USA
cc,

I have a 2 cent opinion.

I recommend you get a good simple ribbon cut blend like Prince Albert. Make sure the tobacco is almost dry and learn how to pack it in your pipe - not too tight. Then I suggest you develop a habit of learning to let the tobacco speak to you. At first, smoke slowly without a lot of distractions. Pay attention to the taste and sensations inside your mouth and your nose.

Experience is VERY important. Keep it simple, take your time and maybe in a month try another blend.

My 2 cents. John

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Vanilla Cream can be had for $38 a pound or $11 for 3.5 ounces
$11 for 3.5 ounces. That's about £8.30 8O
Why did I have to pay £4.15 for a 12g sample of some over-the-counter American aromatic the other day?
I'm shopping in the wrong place/country. I think I need to start ordering online.

Status
Not open for further replies.