PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title ( See Rule 9 )

Hello everyone, in 2013 I tried pipe smoking for the first time and came to this forum asking for some recommendations after having a really BAD time with tongue bite with lane limited 1Q.

After all the recommendations I got, I bought 3 other tobaccos:
1. 4noggings Trout Stream (an aromatic cavendish)
2. Lane limited BCA (again an aromatic cavendish)
3. Lane limited HGL (an "English aromatic" with Cavendish, Burley, Latakia and Virginia)

I quit smoking pipe after that, even after following all the recommendations about drying the tobacco, slow down, pack loosely, tamper less, smoke cooler, etc etc. the tongue bite was HORRIBLE. Not sure why I said otherwise in that post.

I stored those 3 tobaccos in a ziploc bag and then inside a glass container.
3 days ago, I smoked a cigar with some family members and it was very pleasant and thought "maybe I should clean my old pipe and try pipe smoking again".

The next day I cleaned the pipe and got out those tabaccos I had stored, by the way, seems like they were well stored because they seemed fine, not moist but not bone dry and the smell in the bag is wonderful.

So, I packed my pipe with HGL, the "hybrid" or "english aromatic" that is supposed to give less bite... oh boy, since the very first sip when pre-lighting it I got that sensation, and thought "this is going to hurt in 5-10 minutes", and it did.
I also got a very bad ash taste, like when you sip with the pipe off, but probably because I didn't deep clean the pipe and had all those ash tastes absorbed in the wood. I'm already in the process of deep cleaning it in hope that ash taste goes away.

I'm pretty sure is the tobacco and not my technique.
I'm going to give it one last chance and I'm kindly asking for recommendations, I will not buy more than 2 or 3 bulk tobaccos if there's a risk of wasting money.

I'm not actually a regular smoker but considering that I really enjoy cigars like twice a year or so (because its expensive), do you have any recommendations?

I will probably stay away from aromatics.

I also read that probably the Burley is one of the culprits as well, and the 4 tobaccos I've tried have burley (seems like cavendish is a type of burley)
Someone also said Virginias tend to bite as well but according to this doc. http://www.diamantstudios.ca/Tobi/Tongue_Bite.pdf its only because you smoke it to fast (...I hope because a lot of the best selling ones are virginias).

Lastly, I want something that doesn't smells like cigarettes, preferably with a good smell but with a non aromatic that's probably too much to ask.

So,
Any recommendation for a tobacco that I can buy in bulk, online, non aromatic, without burley, preferably good room note and that you can say "this definitely will not give tongue bite".

I'm very sorry for the long post, but I found it useful to give all that information.
I've never had that experience with plain burley or plain virginia; I would suggest C&D's Interlude for a nice, very lightly cased virginia with no topping and for a burley I would suggest Burley Flake #2. Neither have any tongue bite and are good quality blends. They aren't sold in bulk though, just tins but they aren't that expensive either.

Reactions: wayoutwest

viera92

Lurker
Sep 26, 2013
Mexico
I agree that it's good to start with a Grabow or Cob; and I further agree with Ash about starting with a Lane Limited mixture along the lines of HGL; and others, such as 1-Q or RLP-6.
I did actually started with 1-Q as stated in the post, and was horrible. Don't get me wrong, the HGL one was way better in terms of bite, but the bite is still there and for a pleasant smoke I'm looking for cero bite like a cigar.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a G.L. Pease blend with Latakia in it (e.g. Gaslight).
Thanks I will take a look to G.L. Pease

I’m fairly new to pipe smoking myself and still learning the ins and outs of packing, smoking rhythm, and moisture etc. but I really like potlatch from Seattle pipe club as an easy, plug and play smoke.
Seems a little expensive to me, $20 for a 2oz tin, but will take a look, thanks!

I'd recommend carter hall. It's very forgiving. I tried starting with virginia flakes and hated it. Carter Hall let me get the mechanics of pipe smoking down.
What did you hate about virginia flakes? I've read some complains about virginias and was wondering what it is.

I've never had that experience with plain burley or plain virginia
I'm a little afraid of buying plain burley in case that's my problem. According to the document I shared in the post, burley is alkaline and tend to react with some people.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I'm a little afraid of buying plain burley in case that's my problem. According to the document I shared in the post, burley is alkaline and tend to react with some people.
That could very well be, but in all my experience, the plain blends of pure burley and virginias have no bite. I wouldn't give up on burleys...pick up one tin of what I suggested and find out for yourself--it's only $11 I think. If anything, the nicotine in that blend will keep your mind off of any tongue bite.

Reactions: JOHN72

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I’ll throw in my two cents, since I’ve only been smoking for two years max.

1) start with a medium English, such as GL Pease’s Westminster. You won’t get tongue bite, due to Latakia, and you will easily taste it, unlike some Virginias and vapers in which you have to tease out the flavors.

2) Smoke one blend until you really get it. Smoke it little moister, a little drier, and more loosely packed, to find out how the blends best works for you. Don’t jump from tobacco to tobacco. Try it in different pipes.

3) perhaps stay with tobaccos that are ribbon cut, loose tobacco, before heading into the world of flakes, plugs, etc. When you want to branch out from English, you could try an easy packing Virginia perique such as Elizabethan mixture. It’s easy to find, comes pretty much at the right moisture level. Is it the best vaper? I don’t know, but it shouldn’t matter to you now.

That’s my experience at least! I hope this helps.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I did actually started with 1-Q as stated in the post, and was horrible. Don't get me wrong, the HGL one was way better in terms of bite, but the bite is still there ...
Hmmmm.... While in my experience, you have to pull pretty hard to get something like 1-Q to bite - YMMV - but, if that's what you're getting, than that's what your getting. If that is the case, I'd re-examine my draw technique.

In other words: "Take a harder look at the archer himself, rather than the arrows and bow."

Good luck to you - Sherm Natman

viera92

Lurker
Sep 26, 2013
Mexico
I wouldn't give up on burleys...
Ok I will take your advice, but want to stay with bulk ones.
I'm basing my choices from the "best sellers" on smokingpipes site, but seems like there is not "only burley" choice.

What do you think about Peter Stokkebye "Lxury twist flake" and the "luxury navy flake" for my virginia choice? the navy one have some perique that I've read can be spicy, but as long as that spice is not bite, I'm fine with it. Maybe try both...?

Can't find pure burley in the best sell section, all I find is "Mac baren - HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed" that has a lot of other stuff in it and C&D: Haunted Bookshop, this one seems to be as well a blend.

These next ones are not on the best selling section but are pure burley: "C&D Burley ribbon cut" and "C&D Dark burley"

I also added 1oz of Billy budd to my cart because I read that's closer to a cigar taste and want to try a very strong one.
Finally I want to add a milder english in case Billy budd is TOO strong for me.

I’ll throw in my two cents, since I’ve only been smoking for two years max.

1) start with a medium English, such as GL Pease’s Westminster. You won’t get tongue bite, due to Latakia, and you will easily taste it, unlike some Virginias and vapers in which you have to tease out the flavors.

2) Smoke one blend until you really get it. Smoke it little moister, a little drier, and more loosely packed, to find out how the blends best works for you. Don’t jump from tobacco to tobacco. Try it in different pipes.

3) perhaps stay with tobaccos that are ribbon cut, loose tobacco, before heading into the world of flakes, plugs, etc. When you want to branch out from English, you could try an easy packing Virginia perique such as Elizabethan mixture. It’s easy to find, comes pretty much at the right moisture level. Is it the best vaper? I don’t know, but it shouldn’t matter to you now.

That’s my experience at least! I hope this helps.
1. Thanks, Im actually looking for a mild or medium english right now, but I'm staying with bulk choices.

2. Oh thats new for me, I really want to try different types until I find the one I like haha.

3. For vaper I'm looking at Peter stockkebye Navy flake

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Ok I will take your advice, but want to stay with bulk ones.
I'm basing my choices from the "best sellers" on smokingpipes site, but seems like there is not "only burley" choice.

What do you think about Peter Stokkebye "Lxury twist flake" and the "luxury navy flake" for my virginia choice? the navy one have some perique that I've read can be spicy, but as long as that spice is not bite, I'm fine with it. Maybe try both...?

Can't find pure burley in the best sell section, all I find is "Mac baren - HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed" that has a lot of other stuff in it and C&D: Haunted Bookshop, this one seems to be as well a blend.

These next ones are not on the best selling section but are pure burley: "C&D Burley ribbon cut" and "C&D Dark burley"

I also added 1oz of Billy budd to my cart because I read that's closer to a cigar taste and want to try a very strong one.
Finally I want to add a milder english in case Billy budd is TOO strong for me.

1. Thanks, Im actually looking for a mild or medium english right now, but I'm staying with bulk choices.

2. Oh thats new for me, I really want to try different types until I find the one I like haha.

3. For vaper I'm looking at Peter stockkebye Navy flake
Good call on bulk English blends. Balkan supreme I hear is good. You should try different types, of course, but it helped me to judge tobaccos once I felt that my technique was good enough to make a good assessment of the blend.

LNF is a fine choice—I rub these out and gravity feed them lightly into my pipe.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm probably in a very similar situation, tongue bite never really stopped being a problem for me (and yes cigars for whatever reason are much more gentle).
I might have given up on pipes too if it weren't for the vast array of flavors you can only get from Pipe tobacco, and my appreciation for wood carving.

Take it slow, meaning you may never get to comfortably smoke a pipe daily, but even if it's just a weekly or monthly ordeal I'd say owning one pipe and a small variety of tins is still worthwhile.

Reactions: elvishrunes

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I still, think you FIRST NEED to get another pipe and forget smoking out of the Grabow for now!

Missouri Meerschaum have already been mentioned to experiment on, given they are inexpensive and good smoking pipes too.

But, I have also had a few not so great.

I’m not sure if this was mentioned, but you might also consider buying a Filtered Pipe next, you can get also Filtered Missouri Meerschaum pipes.

Filters are recommended for those suffering from tongue bite.

If you don’t want a Filtered Pipe, I personally bought a few weeks ago from Eddie at The Pipe Nook, he’s a great guy, a MM Dagner Cob, it’s a fantastic smoker!

Last edited:

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
There is a lot of sage advice here. I’d read through and troll the forum a bit. IMHO I’d learn the mechanics of smoking a pipe on a cheap/affordable briar or cob first.

Aromatics are a great way to start and then move on to more of the different/multi-dimemtional/complicated blends. I stared with a cheap cob and Tinder Box’s Captain’s Spice and then moved on to briars and more of the different blends out there. My palate has matured over the last 20+ years and changed over time. But that’s where I stared and it’s been a glorious journey ;-)

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
... I'm actually looking for a mild or medium english right now, but I'm staying with bulk choices...

Again, thinking along the lines of: Forgiving and Neutral, may I then introduce to you: Super-Value: English Mixture; being THE most perfect and gentle introduction to the world of English mixtures - IMHO - before you get into the famous ones; which might taste more like 'smoked wool socks'. LOL!!! - Sherm Natman

Attachments

• super_value_english.jpg
    super_value_english.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Lots of good suggestions here. Try a cob. As for blends, try some bold kentucky or irish flake. If you like cigars these stronger blends might sit well. The irish flake has a slight flavoured topping and the bold kentucky is more natural.

Chicken Cod

Lurker
Feb 6, 2020
Miami-Dade County, Florida
The best advice I got, and which I humbly submit here, is get a cob and a pouch of Prince Albert. Smoke the tobacco slowly with a good cup of coffee. Sip the tobacco gently, and take a sip of coffee after every couple of puffs to rest your palate and soothe your mouth. I find that coffee goes well with tobacco and soothes my mouth whenever I'm dealing with tongue bite. But definitely try to slow down and sip lightly. This cannot be overstated. Good luck and stick with it. It's an enjoyable hobby once you get the hang of it. But it takes some time and effort. Cheers.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The best advice I got, and which I humbly submit here, is get a cob and a pouch of Prince Albert. Smoke the tobacco slowly with a good cup of coffee. Sip the tobacco gently, and take a sip of coffee after every couple of puffs to rest your palate and soothe your mouth. I find that coffee goes well with tobacco and soothes my mouth whenever I'm dealing with tongue bite. But definitely try to slow down and sip lightly. This cannot be overstated. Good luck and stick with it. It's an enjoyable hobby once you get the hang of it. But it takes some time and effort. Cheers.

I always thought any straight Burely like blends are the way to go, it’s been my understanding they are suppose to be the mellower of blends.

So might want to toss into the mix Granger and Sir Walter Raleigh(SWR) in the mix too. ?

Yeah hang in there, would be a shame the experimentation kills him before the tobacco does... :ROFLMAO:

Chicken Cod

Lurker
Feb 6, 2020
Miami-Dade County, Florida
I always thought any straight Burely like blends are the way to go, it’s been my understanding they are suppose to be the mellower of blends.

So might want to toss into the mix Granger and Sir Walter Raleigh(SWR) in the mix too. ?

Yeah hang in there, would be a shame the experimentation kills him before the tobacco does... :ROFLMAO:
I haven't tried it myself but I've heard Granger can be rather bitey. SWR is definitely an excellent choice, though. As is Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. I've not really ever been able to enjoy Carter Hall and, yes, I know that's blasphemy to some folks around here. But yeah, I still really do appreciate them codger blends.

My current favorite though, is St. Bruno. Love it.

Jul 15, 2011
Here's one thing that really changed my whole experience on pipe smoking: learning how to pack is everything. You want to pack your pipe tightly enough to maintain an ember, but not so tight that you don't get a nice draw. Here's what I do: Stick a pipe cleaner down the stem so that it goes all the way to the bottom of the bowl, then pack your pipe relatively firmly. Take the pipe cleaner out after you pack. This will give you a nice, free air channel while making sure that your pack is nice and even. I learned that packing so loosely that you have to light your pipe 6 times in the first 5 minutes creates too much heat and will ruin the experience. Also, packing so tightly that you cant get a nice, open draw will also ruin the experience. Take your time, experiment, and ultimately, it will come to you. You should also try different tobaccos in different pipes and just keep at it until you find something that works for you. It sounds like the tobaccos you have tried have a lot of extra casings/flavorings and maybe they dont agree with you. Just keep experimenting and hopefully you will have a more enjoyable time.

tomatamot

May 26, 2020
EU
...................... Here's what I do: Stick a pipe cleaner down the stem so that it goes all the way to the bottom of the bowl, then pack your pipe relatively firmly. Take the pipe cleaner out after you pack. This will give you a nice, free air channel while making sure that your pack is nice and even.
I learned that packing so loosely that you have to light your pipe 6 times in the first 5 minutes creates too much heat and will ruin the experience. Also, packing so tightly that you cant get a nice, open draw will also ruin the experience. Take your time, experiment, and ultimately, it will come to you.
Just keep experimenting and hopefully you will have a more enjoyable time.

Thank you very much!
I've never thought about this way of loading the bowl. :col:

viera92

Lurker
Sep 26, 2013
Mexico
Wow, i'm sorry didn't notice I got more messages after mine on Thursday. First of all THANK you all.

I'm trying to buy from pipesandcigars.com but haven't received any replies from them since 5 days ago, I'm about to cancel my order and try on 4noggins (smokingpipes don't accept my paypal for some reason.).

I still, think you FIRST NEED to get another pipe and forget smoking out of the Grabow for now!

Missouri Meerschaum have already been mentioned to experiment on, given they are inexpensive and good smoking pipes too.

Yes, I'm buying a missouri and see if the pipe makes a difference.

Again, thinking along the lines of: Forgiving and Neutral, may I then introduce to you: Super-Value: English Mixture; being THE most perfect and gentle introduction to the world of English mixtures - IMHO - before you get into the famous ones; which might taste more like 'smoked wool socks'. LOL!!! - Sherm Natman
Thanks for the recoomendation, now that I'm about to cancel my recent order I may search for it, I had ordered Sutliff Medium english and Arango balkan supreme as my english blends but now I will reconsider.

Lots of good suggestions here. Try a cob. As for blends, try some bold kentucky or irish flake. If you like cigars these stronger blends might sit well. The irish flake has a slight flavoured topping and the bold kentucky is more natural.
Are those names? Or styles? Wanted to try "C&D Billy budd" because I read is simillar to cigar taste but was out of stock.

get a cob and a pouch of Prince Albert. Smoke the tobacco slowly with a good cup of coffee.
Thank you! will take a look at Prince albert if my budget allows me because already have a lot of options hahaha. By the way, I really like coffee, actually worked as a barista some years ago, but didn't know it was a good pairing, actually thought coffee could make the bite worse, will give it a try.

I always thought any straight Burely like blends are the way to go
The document about tongue bite states that burleys have alkaline smoke and thus being harder on the tongue, that scares me a little bit.

I learned that packing so loosely that you have to light your pipe 6 times in the first 5 minutes creates too much heat and will ruin the experience.
Yeah I was experiencing that. As I read that packing loosely helped the bite problem I was packing it TOO loose, thus relighting several times. Its weird because experimenting with packing I tried to pack it really hard one time but it never got to a point that was hard to draw.

Reactions: UncleRasta