PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
After several failed attempts to give Prince Albert a little pizazz I hit on a very simple tweek -- just add 4 - 6% McClelland's blending Perique. Cha-ching! It doesn't change the taste of P.A., but makes the smoke so much more interesting.

Reactions: Mark S

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I bought an Aro at a B&M and it smelled good enough to eat. Unfortunately after a few bowls the sweetness made me feel sick. I bought a pouch of Prince Albert, and mixed the 2 together. Made a damn fine smoke. I also like to take a Latakia dump, and mix in a third of Lane's BCA.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think the post that started this thread is typical of many pipe enthusiasts' experiences. Prince Albert is a great product to use in blending experiments. I have mixed several tobaccos with it and got varying degrees of satisfaction; and a new-found respect for master blenders!
But I wanted to understand why it tastes so good, to so many, and for so long (since, what, the mid 1800's?) And that's not merely my conjecture. It gets a highly recommended rating by an overwhelming margin of TobaccoReviews.com's contributors; and it was the first inductee into that website's pipe tobacco hall of fame. Just think of it; humble, inexpensive, ubiquitous Prince Albert thriving and being enjoyed and endorsed for so long.
So I searched the web in an effort to discover what is in P.A., and I found out at Gene Borio's web page, the Tobacco Timeline
There I found an entry dated 1913, that announced the introduction of Camels, and noted that it consists of the same three tobaccos as did the earlier Prince Albert tobacco: "[P]iedmont Bright, a flavored and sweetened burley from Kentucky, and 10% Turkish leaf."
So there you have it. Good Va, Burley and Turkish. Maybe this will aid amateur blenders, and help to explain some of the good (and not-so-good) results from your mixing experiments. Of course, feel free to enjoy "plain old" Prince Albert just as it is, it's darn good 'backy!

falconeer

Lurker
Dec 17, 2009
Prince Albert is one of those tobaccos I'd heard a lot about but have never got round to trying - on the basis of the info you give it should suit me down to the ground. Looks like I'll be onto Rich at 4Noggins after the New Year - thanks again for the info
Gerry

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I love PA. I too blend it with others blends to try to make something a bit better.

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
My grandfather smoked PA and that is what I am smoking at the moment. Not only do I enjoy the aroma and flavor, but I am always reminded of the great times I had with my grandparents many many years ago.

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
My grandfather smoked PA and that is what I am smoking at the moment. Not only do I enjoy the aroma and flavor, but I am always reminded of the great times I had with my grandparents many many years ago.

Feb 26, 2010
I should get some PA. I have not tried it yet. I have tried a bunch of OTC tobaccos and the only one so far that I really like is Carter Hall.
Has anybody made some good/interesting blends using that?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Carter Hall and my left overs in the tub that Carter comes in . Waste not want not . The longer it sits the better it gets . Also like to mix PS701 and PS French Vanilla , PS Natural in a 30/30/30 mix and let it age a couple of weeks .Peter Stokkebye bulks are cheap and make good blenders or stand alone all day pipe blends . Others will vouch that Carter Hall is better in the tub than in the pouch .

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Red Top and Lane 1Q. The most economical blends to be found. They mix quite well. With a good room note as well.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I would add that poo pooing any "value blend" is decidedly short sighted. Many make great blending bases for pipes and the MYO format. I use "Natural" versions of a couple of the "pipe cut" blends recently relabeled and targeted primarily to roll your own use as the base of nearly all blends. Good honest tobacco which succeeds (or sometimes fails)on it's own merits without the "hard candy shell".
I also echo the sentiments around PS blenders. That VLC 701 is some damned fine flue cured VA. Anyone who enjoys PS Bullseye flake will appreciate this stuff. Throw a pinch of a perique blender in the mix and you have an exceptional VaPer.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
I'm learning a lot visiting some of these older threads that were here before my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.