PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Don’t know if it’s been done but I would love to hear your thoughts on titles worth chasing down. Regardless of how difficult they would be to acquire. I remember forever ago on the Country Squire Podcast John David mentioning some and wished I wrote them down. Thanks for any help.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
I once saw John David's recipe book from his shop, something the original owners has started and kept. Is that the sort of thing you are thinking about? A compelling idea but surely the issue with any older tobacco blending guides is that most of those tobaccos used are gone/changed. Sad.

Reactions: woodsroad and dcon

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
I once saw John David's recipe book from his shop, something the original owners has started and kept. Is that the sort of thing you are thinking about? A compelling idea but surely the issue with any older tobacco blending guides is that most of those tobaccos used are gone/changed. Sad.
Yeah I have seen several sites online with suggested blending recipes and even other forums that have this. I love books and especially historic tobacco books of which I have a couple. I have to imagine that John David and other master blenders have books they have used as references to create their own original recipes.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Milton Sherman's "All About Tobacco" is a great book, and one I've heard John David mention before.
I've got a field notes type journal I use. Any time I try a new blend and really like it, it goes in the book with notes. I too enjoy books and history about tobacco. There are many great titles to collect, some harder to track down than others.