PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Geez, Ranger, is THAT all?! A list of ALL tobacco blends categorized by type, cut and components? I'm sure it would be "pretty helpful" to you, but if that's what you're looking for, you should take Sam's advice and start going through tobaccoreviews.com and start making notes.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Geez, Ranger, is THAT all?! A list of ALL tobacco blends categorized by type, cut and components? I'm sure it would be "pretty helpful" to you, but if that's what you're looking for, you should take Sam's advice and start going through tobaccoreviews.com and start making notes.

Well, alrighty then. Thanks. :puffpipe:

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Smoke Escudo and you will know what a VaPer tends to taste like.

Smoke a light colored Straight Virginia like MacBaren's Virginia #1 and you will know what light Virginia tastes like generally speaking.

A black or dark Virginia flake of some kind will let you sample that side of the range (the few I thought to name are a pita to find).

Burley, someone else could suggest a good representative of quintessential Burley flavor.

Take your pick for an English blend but the Rapparee is a good example, they tend to have Lat which is smokey, orientals which add spice/pepper and Virginia to add some brighter sweeter flavors. English can vary greatly though depending on what is with the Lat and in what quantity.

As for tobaccoreviews it is a good site but you need to double check it against other sources. For instance they claim Briar Fox is a straight Virginia but it clearly has Burley.

These won't define the genre on their own but it's a good place to start as far as knowing the type of flavor to expect from each. Then when something is listed by blend type you will have a base idea of the general flavor profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.