PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2011
What kind of tobacco pouch do you use? the reason I ask is that my tobacco always dries out in a day or two if I use a leather pouch. I have 2 GBD - both leather. One is a zippered pouch and the other a flap style. They're both over 20 years old - maybe they're getting porous with age? Do you have the same problem?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
baccy stays in jars and if im going away, i put nuff for the trip to take with me in ziploc bags or snuff containers. stays just fine for the day or even 2 or 3

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
They make moisture buttons to put in your pouch. Also when was the last time you cleaned the surgical rubber that lines the inside of the pouch?
You can find the buttons at just about any B&M for $1-2 for the non gel. the gel ones will run you like $5 but they last a lot longer. it also depends on how wet the bacci is to begin with.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
matched-set-150x112.jpg

This is my show pouch when going out to friends and relatives.

Other times it just a $6.00 plastic pouch with2 vinyl partitions.

Moisten up a piece of paper towel and it does not dry out.

Joe2shoes

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
A small clean piece of a sponge works well too!Moistened a bit of course.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
The pouch is just to hold enough tobacco for a day or two. It's not meant to be stored for longer than that. The fact that it's not air tight is actually a plus. If it dries out too fast then you should try the above mentioned ways of keeping it somewhat moist.
For long term storage get some glass jars that have an airtight seal. Ziplock bags will work for a few months in a pinch.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Spartan,

Yow are right about that. My twin pouches only good for 2 days.

8)

Joe

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I use a castleford. It will hold enough for more than a few days, I put my moist aero in it. It has a zipper on the top and is line with sergical rubber. When it starts to dry out too much I will add the moisture button. It also holds my pipe in a zipper compartment on the bottom. I usually keep my dedicated pipe for that specific tobacco.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I keep two pouches for my usual smokes. They are the standard leather with plastic lining. One is for 1Q and one for SPC Plumb Pudding. The tobacco stays in the pouch for up to a week. The 1Q does especially well after a couple of days. The Plum Pudding is a bit dryer, but I have never had it get too dry after a week.
Other tobaccos I am trying either stay in the tin or in a zip lock baggie.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
I use this

dfb669ee.jpg

I'll use "resized" ziplocks, I use the vacuum sealer's...sealer to make the baggies a bit less deep (I get anal at times). That way I can carry more than 1 blend at a time.

It'll hold and easy 1-1.5oz with 2 pipes, probably more if only 1 pipe.
Ive also used one that came with a pipe pouch from smokingpipes.com, its ok, only hold a few bowls worth.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've been looking around for some "heavy duty" ziploc type bags. Ones with better lining, thicker plastic and a better locking "zip"
Have yet to find any. They're probably out there, being sold for another purpose entirely, and I just haven't found them because of that.

banjobob

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
I keep my tobacco in a large plastic bag, I buy it 5# at a time.

That lasts me 3 Months and doesn't dry out.

I have to fill my pouch every day so I've never noticed anything drying out.

I use a leather pouch w/ a vinyl lining made by Rea in Holt Florida, those pouches are

gorgeous and the vinyl lining doesn't start deteriorating after a few years like the rubber linings do.

I've had to trash several $100 pouches that had the lining turn gooey.

Little bits of the rubber would get in with the tobacco and spoil a bowl of tobacco.

Time will tell how well the vinyl linings hold up.

Sometimes I can get her to make me a pouch with a lambskin lining, I've become addicted to her pouches.

I've bought 3 dozen of them and sold the extras on eBay.

Us retired guys need a hobby, so pipes, pouches and reamers is mine.

I don't make much, but I'm getting to play with all the things I love.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I've been looking into bags too lately. I'd like something that can hold two pipes and accessories + a reasonable supply of tobacco. Something like this case for the iPad 2:
6083812_orig.jpg

I love that old style look.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
There is a guy who makes all kinds of pouches. Makes really fancy ones with cobra skin and he makes just plain leather ones. Pretty good prices. He lines all of the, I do believe.

whitewoodleather.com is his site.

anthony

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
For work and short overnight trips I use a small round screw top tin about 1 1/2" in diameter. I stuff it full and get 3 or 4 bowls from it. It had pellet gun pellets in it and of course I washed it good before repurposing. Ted Cash makes beautiful brass stuff for the muzzle loading enthusiasts. He's got some some specific tobacco and snuff tins that look very nice. I keep my lighter, tool and cleaners in the rubber side of my pipe case.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
garden078-1.jpg

Did these this week . Address book and tobacco pouch. I took the plastic

liner out of and old pouch and super glued it to the inside. The tooth is a

beavers tooth I think.

Joe2pouch

vodomagoo

Lurker
Mar 15, 2012
A one pipe Peterson pouch. Zipper compartment on the bottom for one pipe, zipper compartment for lighter and supplies and a ruberlined pouch that can hold a ton of tobacco

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
not exactly a tobacco pouch, but it was under my seat when I was looking for something & its stuck
IMAG0335.jpg
IMAG0334.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.