Tobacco Knife (My Grandpa’s Old Case XX)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
I have been looking for a dedicated knife to cut plug tobacco. I tried to use my NRA knife but it has a China blade (I know, the irony, right?) it’s garbage and not able to take a good edge. I got to thinking, then remembered that I had a few of my Grandpa’s old knifes. They were all in bad shape. This one had some rust and a lot of grime (didn’t get a good before pic) I was able to get it cleaned up and sharpened. Its sharp enough to shave with. It has a full flat grind that is ideal for slicing thin cuts off of the plug. I think it cleaned up nice. Not sure how old it is. What do you guys use. View attachment 222528View attachment 222529View attachment 222530
It's too nice for such a dirty and mundane job. puffy

Reactions: Jbrewer2002

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Beautiful Schrade Walden 204!
You know, for what I gather was not a top of the line offering, the Waldens of that era were top notch, beautiful fit and finish, brass liner and bolsters, tight grain walnut? scales, great hinge that is still smooth but firm and made in the US.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
My old Buck 110. Bought new 35 years ago, with its 2nd replacement blade.

View attachment 222570

A wonderful and also iconic pocketknife that is just good enough to cut tobacco.
This is my EDC and when it’s freshly sharpened it cuts tobacco great. But I abuse it. Plus who knows what I cut last with it. I have carried this for 15 years now and it’s a workhorse. FE5E24E0-ED91-4E0B-B48A-49B051C0786F.jpeg

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
You know, for what I gather was not a top of the line offering, the Waldens of that era were top notch, beautiful fit and finish, brass liner and bolsters, tight grain walnut? scales, great hinge that is still smooth but firm and made in the US.
The Schrade Walden name was used from 1946 to 1973, after Albert Baer purchased Schrade Cut Co. He changed the company name to Schrade Walden, and change the name again in 1973 Schrade. I have a few dozen Schrade Walden knives and several hundred Schrade knives. It's a hobby that is at least is addicting as collecting pipes!
The 204 is a work knife, an electricians knife. They were very well made, and made to last but they were not the prettiest knives. The handles are Rosewood, probably cocobolo. They're a knife that will last a lifetime or two.

When it comes to cutting tobacco, I use whichever EDC knife I have in my pocket. Sometimes a Benchmade, often a Kershaw and today it is a Schrade Old Timer 34OT.
It is one I customized several years ago, and messed it up. I wasn't happy with it so I threw it in a drawer in my workbench and decided I would carry it with me on this trip to Alaska. If I forget it is in my pocket, and TSA confiscates it, I won't be heartbroken.

DedHed Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
I use an old folding pocket knife my father left in an old box of tobacco stuff after he went to the otherworld a bunch of years ago. I saw, and smelled, on the blade that he had used it for some more ”Jazzy” stuff than normal pipe tobacco. My mom tells me of the time in the end of the sixties when he probably used just that very knife to hack off chunks of the things he was craving when listening to Sgt. Pepper or something.

That’s the knife I’m using on Salty Dogs or Triple Play today.

My dad was great by the way.