PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcc

Lurker
Nov 12, 2011
Think the OP noted both reasons I overstock (hoard) pipe tobacco:
- The rationalization (true or false) that pipe tobacco is cheaper today than it will be tomorrow.

- The worry of a favorite blend disappearing.
The only thing I'd add is that tobacco only gets better with age. And storing pipe tobacco is ridiculously cheap/easy.

So, yeah, there's a point at which you've cellared more tobacco than you could possibly smoke. But who's to say whether a 10 y/o FVF will be more enjoyable than a 10 y/o Marlin Flake? How great would it be to perform that kind of taste-test, knowing you have plenty of each stashed away in 2021?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I have about 50 pounds put away in mason jars and a plethora of tins . I try to buy blends I like on sale and stock up .If you just add a little extra everytime you order it builds up over time .

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I'm saving for my retirement years. I plan on living till 139. :rofl: If I don't it's all willed to pipesmagazine. Despence it among yourselves.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I have a decent seller about 10 lbs. When I have money I add to it. Im sure at some point ill have more that I can smoke but im a collector type and like to try new tobacco. I doubt it will ever be illegal just more expensive.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I'm actually an anti-hoarder in a general sense with everything. I like to have the cupboards full, but I don't like to have a huge inventory.
My wine rack is full. My cigar humidors are half-full, and I have enough pipe tobacco to last me for a year if I don't get anything else. That is after sending about 5 lbs of pipe tobacco to a friend that just lost his job a the same time his wife did.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
That was a very nice gesture helping your friend like that. You're the man, Kevin! :clap:

Pipe smokers seem to be a very generous group of people.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
I have a few hundred tins, about a hundred sealed packets and lots of bulk. Most if it was acquired over 10 years ago when tobacco acquisition began to get dicey. I also did some part time work at a store that was cleaning out bulks and old dented tins at cheap cheap cheap.
Most of the tins are blends no longer available and since I rarely smoke anymore I can be smoking excellent aged tobacco for the rest of my life.
I look at it as similar to a wine cellar.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have 21 tins, 5 mason jars, and about 8 oz each of 4 open bulks, lessee.... roughly 5 lbs. on hand. For me, thats about a 2 year supply. More or less. I am not a very good hoarder.

smooth

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2012
Over the past 20 years or so I would buy 10 pounds of tobacco once a year from a company which last year went out of business. That 10 pounds would cost between $18 and $26 a pound, and be used up within the year. I am now down to 2 pounds. Time for some serious shopping.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I have about a pound total. It's not cellared because I'm going to smoke it! Hopefully get another few ounces in a couple of weeks. But, I'm nowhere near out, and that Shortcut to Mushrooms is growing on me! 400lbs!? Yipes! All hail baskerville!

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
I'm not hoarding fan, I always try to have enough tobacco for next 4 months. Right now I have 1.8 Kgs of tobacco, 6 full jars, 4 tins, and two pouches. That's enough for next 6 months and I will do shopping when I reach only 1 Kg left.

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
I'm a little conflicted on the subject of hording myself. While I certainly understand a hedge against shortages and higher prices, it can be very frustrating to go to purchase a tobacco that everyone has been raving about only to find that it went out of stock 5 minutes after it came in. It's one of the reasons I avoid Black Friday like the plague. Just doesn't appeal to my better nature.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I don't know if I have enough for the rest of my life but I have quite a lot of tobacco here at home. Prices are only going to go up and who knows what the feds will do with taxes?
Smokey

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm just not a hoarder. I probably have close to 3 lbs of favourites stored up and a couple lbs of new to me tobacco on the go. There is so much tobacco out there that I always have 10 to 20 new to me tobaccos on the go. Always something new to try and I get just as much fulfillment from trying new tobacco as I do from having a bowl of an old favouirite.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Admittedly a "pipeaholic". (reference my so titled thread)
After some unlikely international economic meltdown (God forbid) I can see myself emerging from my cellar clutching a 5 Lb bag of bulk and smugly remarking "Who's crazy now?"

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I smoke mostly Virginia tobacco. It ages really well. I am trying to build up a stock so that in a few years all I smoke is stuff with 5 yrs or more of age on it. I currently have about 13 lbs of tinned Virginias and have acquired enough aged tins that I have placed my last Virginia tobacco order. When I retire and have more time to smoke that may all change lol.

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Holy Moly. Seeing all those numbers you guys are stockpiling makes the 4 0z of baccy I currently have look like what you spilled. 8O I am building up to it though.
The other question is: How many are stockpiling their bomb shelters? :wink: What baccy would you want most to have with you in case of Armageddon/Zombie Outbreak/power grid failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.