PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
I read a comment from someone on another pipe forum recently that made me think. This gentleman stated: "I finally have enough tobacco in the cellar to last me for the rest of my life". I'm not sure how he came to this conclusion, but I guess I beleive him.
So i'm a bit curious. How many of you are in the same boat? How many are attempting to reach this level? Do you even want to try to hoard that much tobacco?
I suppose it all depends on how old you are and how much disposable income you have available. For instance, I'm 24, I have approximately 50 years left in life (give or take). Would it even be possible to save up enough of my favorite blends for the rest of my life? That would be a massive undertaking. I imagine it would have to be something done over a long period of time.
Then there's the question, will pipe tobacco even be available for purchase for another 50 years? People are also concerned about the, very real, threat of higher taxes and higher prices on tobacco. Hence the hoarding.
I don't really feel the need to pursue this goal. I'll continue to make my casual purchases and just see what happens. I'm just curious to hear/read you guys' thoughts. 8)

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Always an interesting topic dylan.

From Wikipedia:

Hoarding or caching is a general term for a behavior that leads people or animals to accumulate food or other items in anticipation of future need or scarcity.
Quite often the term hoarding when used with respect to tobacco cellars comes across, intentionally or not, in a negative sense. I don't see it that way at all.

For the very reasons of higher prices and taxation you mention as well as concerns over lack of availability due to nannyistic legislation I'm very methodically building a cellar.
There are a few on this forum who have certainly acquired enough to get themselves close to a lifetime supply, I doubt I ever will, but if the hammer fell today I'd be able to continue smoking at my current rate for about 3 years. I'd like to see my cellar be larger for sure (-:
Along with the bit about "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke." I'm also an adherent to "Cellar wide, cellar deep!"
ETA:Dayum baskerville! (-: You my hero!!

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I would love to have a large tobacco cellar. The policy here in the UK is to always increase tobacco tax by more than the rate of inflations, so it will cost more in real terms each year that passes. Apart from the financial considerations, it would be nice to try the same blend at various ages.
I am trying to put some of my favourite blends aside, but I usually end up smoking them when money is tight at the end of the month. My aim for next year is a modest one tin a month to put away for a year or two.
I don't think tobacco would ever be outlawed as it would simply drive it underground and fund organised crime in a similar way to Prohibition. It is also a nice income source for governments. Just to make sure - always vote for the candidate that smokes!!!! :-D

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I think it was Fred that on a post were I asked this question said he had over 200lbs of smoke. At my rate that would last me two lifetimes.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
I was also curious as to whether most guys are buying a few extra tins here and there over the years, or whether they're buying by the pound.
@baskerville: That is a lot of tobacco 8O

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
How many of you are in the same boat?

The boat I am in is much too small to hoard anything. I'm gong to clear out one small locker for tobacco and pipe paraphernalia and hope I have enough to last six months when I'm out sailing around.

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
HEE HEE HEEEEEE
Not worried at all about our wonderful efficient gov't stopping the sale of tobacco cause I have SEED and grew the stuff during my teen years...not hard to do and homemade cigars are pretty good. I would miss my steady smoke but nicotine is nicotine.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
A long time ago I started using the Rule Of Two whenever I placed an order.
One tin to smoke, one to put aside.
Bulk orders were split in half, one jar to smoke now and one to put aside.
One would be surprised at how quickly an inventory can build up and you aren't really laying out that much extra cash at one time.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I was also curious as to whether most guys are buying a few extra tins here and there over the years

Unlike Jship079 I only have a few tins of some tobaccos that have pushed my buttons.

But, I am trying to buy a tin or two for the cellar, when I make a baccy run.

I am also tracking the prices of those tins as add them to my cellar inventory.

It's amazing how fast the $$ is adding up.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have a modest cellar - about 5 pounds, tinned. This stuff is all aging.
I also have about 1.5 pounds in the "ready to be opened in the next 3 months" boxes.
I'm planning a good size order in about 2 weeks. That will add another 150 grams to the cellar, and will make the "ready to be opened" box to close to 2 pounds. I guess I go through about a tin a week, but I have so many blends open at once, it's hard to tell. :D Of the 6 bowls I smokes in the past two days, I had 3 different blends.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I don't have much of a cellar yet, and as the prices keep rising on everything, and the paycheck doesn't keep up, I doubt I'll be able to cellar much in the foreseeable future either. :cry:

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I look at threads like this and think, man i need to live north of thr equator, :) Being cereal now i plan on doing the one to smoke one to store thing, once the paychecks start flowing in.

Reactions: Carol

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
I have a small cellar starting and I actually feel guilty about opening new tins/ordering new tobaccos when I can while the opened product may just sit their for a few months.
But with our government trying to outlaw everything good it makes sense to store some for the coming apocolypse.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Putting up tobacco is like building a retirement fund. By the time I'm old, I'll be set for life. :)
Although, that makes me think I should see to the dispensation of my cellar in my will...

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I'll turn 65 next month, and while I won't say how much I have, I shouldn't have to worry about running out, since I always buy more than I need every month.

Status
Not open for further replies.