PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I have recently tried MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed and really enjoyed the smoke. I just wasn't a fan of the cut. I prefer more of a finer cut. Is the best way to accomplish this one of those store bought tobacco grinders or is there a better way? Am I missing something by not appreciating the cut that the manufacturer gives?

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I've also been wondering about this. I've seen posts around here from time to time where someone mentions a tobacco blender that they use to chop/grind their tobacco before smoking.

Sometimes the ribbon cuts are so long and stringy that they don't pack easily, so I find myself going over my drying pile and pulling ribbons into shorter bits before packing and smoking.

I wonder if one of those little ninja chop kicthen doodads (or similar) would work?

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Of course, then there's the whole discussion of how that might change the taste of your smoke. Like how a fold & stuff bowl might taste different than if you fully rub the same flake out instead.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you plan to regularly grind most of what you smoke, the electric grinder is likely the best bet. If you want only to grate the occasional flake/coin/plug/rope pieces or make loose tobacco more uniform, a little hand grater -- which I suspect is mostly meant for "weed" -- might do just as well, take up less space, and not take much longer. I have a small one that fits in the palm of my hand called the Ultra Premium Grinder, but I'm sure there are many brands. Or you could buy the small one, see how it works, and if you need more, buy the electric.

do they collect the tobacco snuff in the bottom? lol
I didn't watch him closely, but the whole thing looked like the consistency of snuff to me. My first notion was that a lot of that would probably end up in my mouth while smoking.

I did try grinding a few bowls... when no one was watching, but I didn't notice enough of an improvement to justify adding a whole new step involving appliances to my pipe smoking. It's already tough lugging around all of the pipe stuff to smoke on the go, especially with the microwave for drying that I have to carry with me... ha ha puffy

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I often take a blend and rub it in my hands to rub it out even more.
I also rip apart the really really long stringy strands.
I would think a blade coffee grinder would create too much dusty tobacco.. but never tried it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I didn't watch him closely, but the whole thing looked like the consistency of snuff to me. My first notion was that a lot of that would probably end up in my mouth while smoking.

I did try grinding a few bowls... when no one was watching, but I didn't notice enough of an improvement to justify adding a whole new step involving appliances to my pipe smoking. It's already tough lugging around all of the pipe stuff to smoke on the go, especially with the microwave for drying that I have to carry with me... ha ha puffy
I think you should carry an old-fashioned cast iron coffee mill to go with our antiquated method of consuming tobacco.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I think you're correct. I told people about that? Ha ha!
Yeh, that was what I was talking about.
Ha, its funny how the internet can take one person's flippant/offhand comment and give it to someone else to file it away as 'important'. I purchased a tin of dark star in 2012ish and must have read that and made a mental note, and since I have still not cracked that tin the mental note still lingers! If nothing else, its encouraging regarding my memory skills.
Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.