PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Today my 11 yo son got in the car and immediately started in on me about smoking. (I had Bayou Morning in my Uncle Arthur.) The school has this Fat Albert program where the characters learn all about how rude it is to blow smoke on people and how their loved ones will fall over and die after living with an addiction they can't ever, ever quit. Ever. Then Fat Albert said HEY, HEY, HEY! He said it only focused on cigarettes and cigars - once again, the lowly pipe smoker is left out - and he was worried that I was going to fall over dead after polluting the world with my nasty smoke.
The next hour was spent talking about the differences between pipe tobacco and cigarette tobacco. I likened it to the difference between natural foods and processed foods. Big Macs may taste good but you're gonna get fat off of them. We talked about the nature of addictions and how people will often do things that feel good while not realizing that the chemicals are altering the body. We talked about the reason kids under 18 couldn't buy tobacco... and after it all I told him that people who smoke pipes actually live LONGER than people who don't.
I understand the reason behind the education but it's too complex of a subject to be addressed in a 15 minute PSA when they haven't even learned about the nature of addiction. I can only imagine his teacher's reaction to my son's further education when he brings it up again!
Then, while picking up my daughter whose school lets out an hour later, the teacher who collects the car rider numbers did a double take when she saw the pipe. She came back to the car and told me how awesome it was to see a woman smoking a pipe and walked off with a huge grin on her face.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
You did a first class job of handling a very complex issue. Our current educational system has far too many people in it who like to dole out bits and pieces of the truth and pretend that they've presented the whole truth. This particular issue hits close to home for those of us here, but the same thing applies to all phases of education. We live in a world where it's OK to present pre-digested bits of information rather than to teach the processes necessary for kids to learn to analyze and to judge for themselves. Your kids are very lucky to have you in their lives. Congratulations on a job nicely done.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Thanks, kcvet. :) I try to be as honest with the kids as possible because they were born addicted to meth and have to be on medication to manage the harm it did to their bodies. It's amazing how messed up the school system is with incomplete and inaccurate information on nutrition and health. I read a study recently that said the DARE program in schools managed to do one thing - it actually raised drug use in teenagers. Teens are now more likely to obtain and smoke pot instead of cigarettes. Other drug use has seen a dramatic increase as well including street lab drugs and prescription medication.
The kids and I had almost this exact same conversation in regards to chocolate last week. Chocolate, on its own, is very good for you. The crap companies put in it is what harms you. Some chocolate candies have so little chocolate in it that the labels have to say "chocolate flavored." Today we did a taste test of "decrapinated" chocolate and they all decided that it was just as yummy as the bullshit in the candy aisle. I plan on raising kids that enjoy good wine, real food, and dark chocolate!

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Alright Cyndi! I can't wait until my wife and I pop some out. Though currently, we split a house with an old friend who was recently widowed and also left with her two grandchildren (4 and 5) by her son who was killed 2 yrs ago by the law due to his drunken and crack enraged violence. The kids fumbled through foster care too long and now finally have a bit of stability, thank God. But it's been fun having to re-educate all their strange preconceptions about the world. You and bootleg sound like great people! Glad to have you folks here. :clap:

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Thank God they are in a stable home now, Nathanael! Before we adopted our oldest (he's a half sibling to our younger ones) the pediatrician told us "if he had not been sexually or physically abused before he entered a state group home, he will not come out being as lucky. He was right. The most annoying belief he came with: women are only good for raising children and teaching Sunday school. One day we'll look back on that and laugh, but I was not ready for a bigot in my house. Now he thinks I'm the smartest person ever made and as long as he calls me Mom, I'm perfectly fine with that. ;)

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
The most annoying belief he came with: women are only good for raising children and teaching Sunday school
That's hilarious... kids will just about believe anything if it's stated in the right tone of voice. And after the way things are looking, I'm not too sure adults can discern any better between fact and myth.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Kinda funny you mentioned failed programs. My former girlfriend and some other teens the school decided were "at risk" all had to take one of those classes where you carry a rubber baby around and pretend its real. The only effect it had was boosting their maternal instinct. My former GF was the only one not pregnant by the end of the year (and still not pregnant by the end of me, Gods be praised).
I remember back when I smoked cigs, my daughter begged me to quit because she was sure I'd be dead in a week after the septic public school put her through tobacco programming. I did quit, but I was always honest with her about drugs of all sorts. DARE is a joke. It's a training facility for meth heads.
I respect what you and bootleg are doin' with your kids. We can only be the best we can be and if we even try, we're still competing above average. My ex has made it impossible for me to be a mentor to my daughter now. I just hope I put enough good foundation down in the time I had with her that she'll make it alright.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Way to go,Cyndi! Looks like you're doing a great job with the kids... too bad all kids don't have the benefit of parents who are honest, and will explain that not all the garbage they hear in school is the truth, or at least the complete truth.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I still can't get over that your kids are already in school. Mine have 2 weeks, well a week and a half, of summer vacation. Your kids must get out in the middle of May!
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.