PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have found a metal horderve tray to work perfectly. Your bowl is cool tho. I prefer something flat as a bowl piles the tobacco in the middle too thick.
True, that’s why I’ve been on the lookout for one of those leather style trays... dunno what they are called exactly. London Calling from YouTube has one and it looks perfect for doing the job! I made my bowls quite shallow, they do the trick but that leather tray looks awesome!

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Sadly, I use an extra, leftover stainless steel dog food bowl For drying a fresh tin...?
Does work well I must say! My basement is 62 degrees F, and 50% humidity year round. Good storage and drying conditions tho!

ThreeRivers

Lurker
Feb 15, 2020
N Florida
I have found a metal horderve tray to work perfectly. Your bowl is cool tho. I prefer something flat as a bowl piles the tobacco in the middle too thick.
The plan is to use this bowl for drying out aromatics primarily. It seems to be wide enough, that I won't get a pile in the center. Plus, being unfinished, it should soak up a good bit of moisture while the the top is air drying.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the frisbee idea for being light hearted, but I try to keep plastics out of my systems of consumption to the degree possible. We all take in far more plastic than we know because it has so permeated the water and food supplies, the air and so much we touch. Like it is just too much of a good thing. So I won't be drying or mixing my blend in my frisbee, but it is a happy thought.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've got a good friend who lives in South Carolina... I just love those live oaks. Always thought it was weird that they call them "live" oaks, as if the others are dead, but whatever. They are beautiful trees. Cool bowl too. I just use a small stoneware plate for the same purpose.

That's a pretty cool bowl, but I don't know how I feel about the gun oil. It does have an... aroma, but it's an oil made for kerosene. Not I'd worry about it burning, but infusing the tobacco. I know, I know, you said the outside. It's your bowl... enjoy. It is cool.

I usually just pop a tin and set it out in the tin it came in till dry. Drying it one bowl at a time just seems like a waste of time for me. But, I know some guys get into fiddling with stuff like this, routines or rituals of sorts.

ThreeRivers

Lurker
Feb 15, 2020
N Florida
That's a pretty cool bowl, but I don't know how I feel about the gun oil. It does have an... aroma, but it's an oil made for kerosene. Not I'd worry about it burning, but infusing the tobacco. I know, I know, you said the outside. It's your bowl... enjoy. It is cool.

I usually just pop a tin and set it out in the tin it came in till dry. Drying it one bowl at a time just seems like a waste of time for me. But, I know some guys get into fiddling with stuff like this, routines or rituals of sorts.
Not an oil,but some stuff I grabbed at the local store, called renaissance wax. Didn't seem to have any smell, and coated the bowl, instead of soaking in. So I'm not too worried about it having an effect on the flavor.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Not an oil,but some stuff I grabbed at the local store, called renaissance wax. Didn't seem to have any smell, and coated the bowl, instead of soaking in. So I'm not too worried about it having an effect on the flavor.
Man, i could have sworn that it said "gun oil" but maybe I'm getting too old. Renaissance Wax is good stuff. I've never heard it called Gun wax seal. I use it all the time in jewelry production. It does have an odor, but it gets cast off in the drying process, so yeh, I wouldn't worry either. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.