PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ELW Green

Lurker
Mar 11, 2024
Chicago, IL
Howdy pipers!

I've only been smoking a pipe for four or five months now. I will say though that the bug has bit me. I've discovered that I really enjoy a good English blend. In fact, Iwan Ries' (IRC) English Rich has been what I've enjoyed most lately. But I've also come to enjoy Newminster's #400 Navy Flake, and Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye. I've read that both of the latter tobaccos age well and am thinking of getting a couple of pounds of each to "cellar." As I do fear--as many have commented on--that tobacco will only rise in price in the future. I do have a fourth tobacco on my shelf that I enjoy, which is a burley blend of IRC's Koko. I had a can of Granger and a couple of ounces of IRC's Three Star Blue (which was too sweet on its own) that I blended to make almost a pound of a burley blend. These four tobaccos have become my rotation. I have tried a few tins of tobacco (Capstan Navy flake, Peterson Nightcap, and IRC International), but also find that they are really expensive. So I've been seeking solid and affordable bulk blends to enjoy. That has been my journey so far. Any advice is welcome as I do enjoy learning from everyone's post here.

Thanks,
EG

Last edited:

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Good advice above. Even with all the vilification tobacco has been subjected to, you can still find several great bulk deals, especially on SP. Since the OP mentioned enjoying Englishes, I will offer my emphatic recommendation for Sutliff Balkan Sobranie Orig. Mix Match. Super affordable, always in stock, and SP is known to run Sutliff bulk sales here and there. Free up some funds, keep your eyes peeled, and pounce when you see it! 👍

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut (PS 41) is a very tasty VaBur with a touch of a sweet topping.

Sutliff 507-C Virginia Slices - a very good light Virginia flake

Both are freely available and priced right. They’re a great addition to any cellar.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
You won't know 'till you try 'em. It doesn't cost much to do an exploratory sampling of bulks from a site like Smoking Pipes. Prices are reasonable and there are many to choose from. I'd suggest putting in an order for a bunch of small samples of bulk blends that sound good from their description to you. Give each one a chance, smoking them over a period of time, then order more of what you find you like. This is part of the fun- learning what you like by trying stuff out. What one person likes, another may find awful. You gotta find out what you like. Enjoy the winding road this will take you on...

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'd try PS English Oriental Supreme, Sutliff Match 20, and Mac Baren Scottish Mixture if you're looking for other bulk blends to try and potentially cellar.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I would think you need to try other blends. You may find you loke them better than some you already have. After four months isn't a time for committing yourself. You should try G.L. Pease's Westminster or Peterson Nightcap amongst a host of others.

• Love
Reactions: PaulRVA

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Sutliff Match BS759 is available in bulk too. Some people (like me) much prefer the BS 759 clones to the BSOM clones. Try both, you might like both, or you might like one or the other, or neither. But regardless, you can get an oz of each and decide if you want to order it in bulk.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
fun fact tastes change especially as you get experience with a pipe. I suggest slowing your roll just a bit. But that's worked well for me. I think it's better to learn to appreciate the ones you already dig while slowly adding more to the stable.
+1 on this ^^^ .

I have found my taste for Latakia dried up after my first year in, and I have seen this happen quite often actually with other smokers lurking in the forums.

As one's palate develops it seems such in-you-face flavors might become too in-your-face and you might start to veer into more subtle territories such as more nuanced Virginia, VaPer, and VaBur. I have found I still like the other Orientals and their plethora of nuance but Latakia much like Cilantro can overtax my tastebuds and that's all I can taste and I miss the various tastes of the rest of the metaphorical taco as it were.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
+1 on this ^^^ .

I have found my taste for Latakia dried up after my first year in, and I have seen this happen quite often actually with other smokers lurking in the forums.

As one's palate develops it seems such in-you-face flavors might become too in-your-face and you might start to veer into more subtle territories such as more nuanced Virginia, VaPer, and VaBur. I have found I still like the other Orientals and their plethora of nuance but Latakia much like Cilantro can overtax my tastebuds and that's all I can taste and I miss the various tastes of the rest of the metaphorical taco as it were.
Coming from cigars, and about 15 months into pipe smoking, I can agree. When I started with pipes I wanted "a cigar in a pipe" and bought a bunch of cigar blends. As time has gone by, over 1000 bowls later, I'm no longer interested in that taste bomb smoke. Rather, I am really into the variety of flavors I get from straight VAs.

Not much of a fan of VaPers that aren't St. James Flake. A light VaBur or a good VAOr like Embarcadero is much more enjoyable to me.

I smoked at least 75 blends my first year and have added many new in the last few months. Tastes do change, and I'm glad I set a "one ounce sample" rule when I started buying tobacco so I don't have tons of stuff I don't care for.

So many blends sound great on paper and end up being not so enjoyable. If I try a few bowls out of an ounce, then decide to give away the rest for someone else to try, no big whup. If I find something I love, I may buy 1/4 pound. FVF got me to an 8oz purchase but that's as deep as I've gone so far.

Take your time, there's plenty of tobacco in the world. Esp bulk blends like PS and Newminster, those aren't going anywhere.