PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Stumbling across its website recently, I had one of those "Why wasn't I informed?" moments, and after several weeks of either not finding the time to go or forgetting to go when I had the time, I finally visited the store on Route 23 named the Tobacco Depot.
I wasn’t expecting a retailer the size of Home Depot or Office Depot, but I was surprised to find a 250-foot space, just one storefront amid several, that I actually had managed to miss on my first approach despite staring right at it.
I walk in and immediately see the display case containing about a dozen briars. This is good.
I take a few more steps inside and notice the stout (and kind of mannish) young woman behind the counter, visibly despairing the interruption of her solitude. “Hi. I’m interested in your pipe tobacco,” I said, just for the sake of acknowledging her presence. “What, for a wood pipe?” she replied. This is not good.
The sullen clerk steps out from behind the counter and meets me where all the pipe tobacco is displayed. “We have Captain Black. They’re ten dollars a pouch. And we have these. They’re three dollars an ounce,” she explained. Dumb, and now sullen myself, I regarded the paltry selection of generic aromatic blends arrayed in six or seven glass jars and the Captain Black. “Okay, thanks for your time,” I said to end the awkward silence. I left without bothering to look at those pipes or even check out whatever overpriced, dry cigars they may have been hawking. If this store specializes in anything, I think it is hookahs and hookah tobacco, which seemed to occupy the most shelf space.
So Tobacco Shack might be more apt, or Tobacco Shanty has a little more color, but in no way a depot.
Thus ends my foray into Thanksgiving weekend retail shopping.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
No surprise. The name of the place is a tip off. Many of these joints are hookah/head shops and RYO focused. The type of pace your looking for is getting scarce in NJ.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I've had similar experiences myself, so I know what a disappointment it is. This probably won't be the last time this happens but it will make your find of some tucked away hidden gem all the more sweeter. It's more about the search anyway, at least for me.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I drove an hour and a half to Shreveport a couple years ago to visit a real, live B&M. When

I finally found it there was a large painting of a Calabash on the parking lot side of the

building... I thought "Jackpot!"

Inside was nothing but glass bongs and rolling papers. The poor little tattooed, ear-ring

wearing turd behind the counter could tell I was PISSED!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome aboard, BriarFriar. Sorry to hear about your visit to the Tobacco Depot, but I think the days of B&M real tobacco stores in New Jersey is gone. The good news is that there are still a few really topnotch B&Ms across the country, and the quality of internet shops is truly superb. Of course, the success of the latter has contributed to the lack of success of the former, but that appears to be the way shopping in general is going these days. If you live in New Jersey, you'll have to drive a few miles to find a really good B&M, but they're worth the trip.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
The Tobacco Shop of Ridgewood looks like a quality B&M in northern NJ: http://tobaccoshop.com/. I've not been there yet because it's an hour's drive from my home, but it's on my list of places to visit. Other than that place, I'm not aware of any good B&Ms that cater to pipe smokers. There's Stix cigars up here in Sussex County, but it's a cigar shop that carries only a few basket pipes, cobs, a limited selection of CAO tins and a few drug store blends like Half and Half and Captain Black. Nice place, nice crowd.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
We have a Tobacco Tepot here in Cedar Rapids Iowa. At best is just a cigarette and RYO store. (The only "real" B&M pipe store I am aware of is a two hour drive over to Des Moines.) They do have a few of the OTC blends in tubs and pouches, but the price is at least twice what I considered to be the going price. The have a walk in humidor, with a decent selection of cigars, but I wasn't impressed and inside it felt a bit too cool and dry to be what I have experienced as a good humidor environment. I have bought lighter fluid, and flints on occasion there, but that's it.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Hey, thanks for the welcomes. I do enjoy reading all these threads.
I agree the age of the great smoke shop is over in New Jersey. There seems to be a decent number of cigar lounges in my general area, but of course that isn't the same. I will check out that place in Ridgewood though, and in fact, in my search for locations where my new pipe club can meet, I'll visit there. I know a pipe club used to meet there some years ago.
There's actually a tiny little smoke shop a few miles down the road from me, but every time I walk in there, the proprietors look at me like I'm intruding and interrupting. They sell only a few brands of good cigars, and some pipe tobacco in bulk. No tins of anything.
A headshop with a calabash painted on the exterior wall? :) Maybe they moved in after the pipe shop moved out.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been in that shop, unfortunately....

They did have a new copy of "Rare Smoke" sitting in a glass display. I asked if it was for sale, but the clerk said he wasn't sure. I left my card for the owner, but never heard back.
I did stumble onto this very nice pipe/cigar shop near Deptford NJ on Monday PM and enjoyed a good smoke and conversation with the owner. Green Tree Tobacco Co:

http://www.greentreetobacco.net/home.html
The owner, Ruth Weiss, has been in the industry for 30 years. She knows JM Boswell (and in conversation yesterday, he remembered her). Half the shop is cigars, the other half pipes. She has two, unsmoked Ferndown pipes in a case, I made an offer she declined ($200, marked $385...). A decent selection of tinned tobacco, I picked up a $13 tin of Dunhills London Mixture. Some shop jars as well, I didn't ask their origin. They have a small, five seat smoking area in the back for customers. They also have a members-only lounge accessible by key-card, 24-7. I wasn't shown that area. Ruth said she was looking to restart a pipe club and had recent pictures of a November pipe-carving contest. You might want to check with her.
If you set it up there (or anywhere in NJ), give me a shout, I'm in NJ for work frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.