Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here’s a funny story. On September 11, 2011 I landed in Louisville KY and drove to Lexington for a week long seminar.

When I drove by the tobacco barns I thought they were cigar tobacco barns. I knew zero about tobacco.

Took a crash course. Read a bunch and on September 13, 2011 became a pipe smoker.

Now I still don’t know much, but my wallet isn’t as thick.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Here’s a funny story. On September 11, 2011 I landed in Louisville KY and drove to Lexington for a week long seminar.

When I drove by the tobacco barns I thought they were cigar tobacco barns. I knew zero about tobacco.

Took a crash course. Read a bunch and on September 13, 2011 became a pipe smoker.

Now I still don’t know much, but my wallet isn’t as thick.
It's funny how it happens sometimes ain't it? I just saw a random ad once. Boom. I'm going to be a pipe smoker. And here we are.

@Auxsender I have no idea, but that would be great framed or done on canvas at Walgreens and hung on the wall!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
It is air-cured tobacco (either light or dark), so it can be Burley, Maryland or cigar tobacco. I also found this:

"Tobacco is grown in sixty-six of the state’s ninety-five counties. Burley tobacco is grown in all of these sixty-six counties, with eight counties producing dark fired tobacco"

motorjon68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2023
Cincinnati
We ride motorcycles all over Northern Kentucky and pass several tobacco barns. Cool to have an idea what’s actually hanging in there. I know it is hard work to harvest.

Reactions: Auxsender

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Dark Fired in TN comes from Northern Middle TN, it's basically what pipe smokers call Kentucky. If you are 20 miles north of Nashville in the fall, near Clarksville, the land smells of wonder. These barns are always tall and rectangular.

The one in the picture above is what I am used too, an air dry set up. The humidity in the Midsouth makes this area the perfect environment for such curing as the leaves rehydrate at night, after drying during the hot days and vs other areas where it never rehydrates to the degrees necessary for certain micro curing processes.

I've reclaimed some wood from some of these types of barns that have fallen over. It always smells like Bruton Snuff my great grandmother dipped when you cut, plane or burn it....

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Dark Fired in TN comes from Northern Middle TN, it's basically what pipe smokers call Kentucky. If you are 20 miles north of Nashville in the fall, near Clarksville, the land smells of wonder. These barns are always tall and rectangular.

The one in the picture above is what I am used too, an air dry set up. The humidity in the Midsouth makes this area the perfect environment for such curing as the leaves rehydrate at night, after drying during the hot days and vs other areas where it never rehydrates to the degrees necessary for certain micro curing processes.

I've reclaimed some wood from some of these types of barns that have fallen over. It always smells like Bruton Snuff my great grandmother dipped when you cut, plane or burn it....
Very cool. Excellent insight. Thank you for this.

Reactions: Oddball