PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Among the things I use it for

Track what was bought and when. For example, I might have 50 tins of ODF purchased over a number of years the spreadsheet helps me to pick the oldest tin first. I've also avoided adding stuff to the cellar that I already have in sufficient quantity.

I keep track of tobaccos I don't like so I don't order them again.

It allows me to answer all sorts of forum questions about my cellar, e.g., total weight, number of blends, number of blenders, average age, what blends I have the most of, etc., etc., etc....
Geez... I feel kinda stupid now. I may have to jump on the bandwagon and start a spreadsheet myself.

rjpuffs

Lurker
Mar 29, 2023
Just an update - the new user registration form is now working on the TobaccoCellar.com site. I was not sure if the site was relevant any more, but there are many existing users active on it which I didn't realize. Yes, it needs work, and someday I might around to cleaning it up and making it pretty. But it's available now, such as it is.

Pipe&Chess

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2022
Brazil
Just an update - the new user registration form is now working on the TobaccoCellar.com site. I was not sure if the site was relevant any more, but there are many existing users active on it which I didn't realize. Yes, it needs work, and someday I might around to cleaning it up and making it pretty. But it's available now, such as it is.
That’s great news! Already created an account. Thanks!

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Much respect for keeping a tool/service going, even if you are not using it anymore. I know how interest in hobbies can wax and wane. 👍

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Thank you for your great site. I have painstakingly added all my tobacco to my account, up until about 2 years ago when I moved to Tennessee.

Now when I try to access my account from my home computer, I get this:

Access Denied​

Malicious IP address detected
Your IP address and/or network has been identified as a spam or bot attack source. Access to this website is denied.

Please speak to your network administrator or your friendly cybercrime investigative agency about these difficulties. Have a nice day.

Some helpful links:
These fine folks can arrange an all expenses paid vacation to a morality improvement facility
Go back to your homepage

I can still access from my phone, but I has a sad that I cannot access from my computer. It took a long time to add all that stuff... lol

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
The biggest investment is in entering all of the data initially, thereafter updating only takes a few minutes when you add or subtract from the cellar. A nice thing about spreadsheets is that they can be readily modified to suit your needs as they evolve. I periodically make enhancements to my workbooks.

I've attached a screenshot of the sheet I use to enter tobacco data onView attachment 208154

I've formatted the target date cell to turn green once 5 years of age has been reached.

At some point I began assigning a unique serial number to each tin/jar/bag, the serial number connects the container to the spreadsheet. Early on I used purchase date and blend for that purpose but that became problematic.

I've a separate sheet in the workbook that has pivot tables as well as summary statistics, e.g, lbs, # tins, #blender, etc.
I have a similar setup, however, I made it easy on myself to enter new things into the cellar. I created a google form that is linked to the sheet in google drive and I simply enter it there and it populates all the info. There are even some drop-downs to make it quicker. 10/10 would recommend it.

Screenshot_20230531_205401_Chrome.jpg

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
If you record all your tobacco inventory down to the last tin or jar on an app and you know exactly what you have, how can you ever be surprised?

Half the fun of raiding my cellar and rummaging around my only half recorded inventory is finding 'lost' treasures that I never even knew I had!

Pipe&Chess

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2022
Brazil
If you record all your tobacco inventory down to the last tin or jar on an app and you know exactly what you have, how can you ever be surprised?

Half the fun of raiding my cellar and rummaging around my only half recorded inventory is finding 'lost' treasures that I never even knew I had!
That’s a great point… even though I have the tendency of trying to record and keep track of them (not there yet…) , it really is nice to find those hidden and forgotten treasures every once in a while!

Reactions: AroEnglish