PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
It’s different for everyone; you should probably just smoke a tin and keep track. For me it’s usually around 10 or so

Reactions: jpmcwjr

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
For 50gr or 2oz tin, it's between 16 and 20 bowls on average, depending on the cut of the tobacco. But it mainly depends on the size of the pipe chamber.

The only way to really get a true figure it so find how much tobacco a particular pipe can hold and do the math.

For example: I would say that the average pipe will hold about 3gr of tobacco.
50gr divided by 3gr = 16.66 bowls
2oz divided by 3gr = 18.9 bowls

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I would approach this question with an empirical method as it depends on so many factors. I had a time when I smoked one pipe and one blend exclusively. Always smoked two bowls a day and a 50g tin lasted me around nine or ten days, which makes about 20 bowls per tin.

On the other hand - Why just don't weigh a bowl's worth of tobacco?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd guess I get about twenty bowls per tin, sometimes a few more. As earlier posts said, it depends on the cut. If you pack too tightly, you'll lose some burn at the bottom of the bowl and get fewer bowls. For the cost of two premium cigars, you get twenty bowls out of a tin of premium pipe tobacco.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I'd guess I get about twenty bowls per tin, sometimes a few more. As earlier posts said, it depends on the cut. If you pack too tightly, you'll lose some burn at the bottom of the bowl and get fewer bowls. For the cost of two premium cigars, you get twenty bowls out of a tin of premium pipe tobacco.
Yes, you did mention the sticks were expensive today

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Nov 11, 2020
Elliston, Montana
I thought about this in regards to how much I should cellar. I wanted to know how much I smoke in an average day in grams to figure out a rough yearly estimate. I weighed each pipe unloaded, then weighed it loaded, did some quick math, took notes and came up with an accurate amount.

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Weighing it is the best option(cheap microgram scales on amazon) I frequently weigh small amount when mixing and testing new blends and often mix up a bowls worth or maybe 5g with percentages of various leaf down to 5% or less.

And average bowl with an average pipe(.75 inch x 1.5 inch) is about 2.25 grams. If you pack very lightly then it can be 2 g or if you pack tighter it could be 2.5 g. Can't get much more than 2.5g unless you have a bigger pipe. Also depends on how dry the tobacco is, what the cut is and packing techniques but that's about average.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
20-22 bowls for me. This figure I worked out and checked a few times over the years and it reasonably accurate across all my pipes. The variations are mainly to do with mositure content, 50g of "dry" tobacco goes further than 50g of "wet" so it depends a little bit on the blender. The other easy way is to count "coins",in tobacco cut that way, typically for me one coin per per bowl.

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee
Status
Not open for further replies.