New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cosmic: Honey is anti-mold? Sweet! ;) (That’s what I’m using)

There may be some... I think jitterbugdude objected to honey being added to steam actually having anything to do with mold prevention. So, I am not 100% certain, but when I added honey to the steam, none of that tobacco molded. When dealing with kitchen chemistry, any number of variables may have been what actually prevented the mold.
As to your question, I think you've answered it yourself in the quote from Greg Pease, which also reminds me of what Anthony Bourdain says about cooking a steak... It's actually the 7 to 10 minutes after you pull a steak off the grill that makes or breaks the flavors, as there is something magical that is going on inside there.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Lots of shows and lots of dancin' my bones :) . Saw my first with DJG in '75, 20+ the late 70's and early 80's and then I stopped when Jerry got too sick. '84 was the last time I saw them. Did go see some of the Dead and Company shoes, they were OK.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
As to your question, I think you've answered it yourself in the quote from Greg Pease, which also reminds me of what Anthony Bourdain says about cooking a steak... It's actually the 7 to 10 minutes after you pull a steak off the grill that makes or breaks the flavors, as there is something magical that is going on inside there.
I know. The difference in one week is quite a lot. I was hoping enough changes happened in a couple days to give you a general idea though. I make quick and dirty hard cider from grocery store cider and after fermentation and before bottling to age a few months and carbonate I can tell if it will be a good batch or not. I'm only off work for a limited time and wanted to accomplish as much as I could.
Lots of shows and lots of dancin' my bones :) . Saw my first with DJG in '75, 20+ the late 70's and early 80's and then I stopped when Jerry got too sick. '84 was the last time I saw them. Did go see some of the Dead and Company shoes, they were OK.
Lucky you. I only got 13 in. I saw my first in '73, one in '75 then none for a long while. In the years before Jerry died I saw one or two a year when they came close. The last year or two was sad. Was at the Deer Creek show where people came in through the wall. Thirteenth show, but my dad told me it was bad luck to be superstitious. ;) Not been to many concerts since. Jazz clubs, festivals with local Blues or Bluegrass, stuff like that. Did see Phil And Friends when he toured with Dylan.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Too fun. Pig was gone by then I assume. '72 is my favorite time for Dead music. Saw several shows at Deer Creek. Best tour was Brent's first. Cleveland Music Hall was a mind expanding experience... 8O

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
As a follow up, I've smoked some stoved stuff and some lightly toasted Burley after 3-4 days. There is a difference for sure. It was dramatic on the toasted Burly with it having a nasty undertone at first but having that nice, dusty Burley taste after just a couple days. I'm not going to smoke more till more time has elapsed but it gives me direction.
I wonder how the professional (or semi-professional hobbyists :) ) do things. Is figuring out blends a months long process?

Is figuring out blends a months long process?

...sometimes years. Crops vary from year to year, and this is why McCrannies only has a few years of select crop years that it uses for their single crop specialty products. Then, you will see the crappy year's hit the whole leaf market for bargain basement prices.

When I flue cure my own crop, if I mess it up, it is another year before I can try again.
Patience, patience... Smoke a few hundred pipe fulls between blends. And, if you mess it up, you can always dump some vanilla on it and have yourself an aromatic. :puffy:

Reactions: Pipes McGee
Status
Not open for further replies.