PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Not all my tobacco turns to ash as I smoke it. About 1/3 of my tobacco becomes black and chared but does not ash. Is this normal? I generally smoke Latika blends. I do not have an issue with my pipe getting too hot. However I do tend to relight twice but the tobacco that is not ashing will not burn either.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I don't believe that to be an issue. Every tobacco blend burns a little different from others.

It's been my experience that depending on the curing methods employed the ash will be hard, crunchy, and black or white, soft, and powdery....

:puffy:

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Awesome. When I think ash. I just assumed white powdery was tge result I was suppose to get. Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The unburned tobacco at the bottom of the bowl is called dottle. Usually, there is a little dottle at

the end of a smoked bowl of tobacco. Sometimes there is almost none, and this is satisfying because

it suggests you have gotten all the use and satisfaction from the tobacco. But no one suggests you

keep smoking a bowl when it becomes biting or stale flavored. It's fun to smoke down to nearly all

ash, but a little dottle is fine. It's just not a problem. The object is good flavor and a good experience.

Some unburnt leaf doesn't matter.

hogfoot

Lurker
May 10, 2013
Most of my smokes will leave a little dottle. To judge whether I had a good smoke or not, I will inspect the bowl after emptying it - any sign of moisture indicates a bad smoke. If the bowl is dry, I call it a good smoke even if some dottle remains.

dms17

Lurker
Nov 4, 2012
I have to say I do not really study what type of ash I have. As long as it taste good and I enjoyed the bowel I consider it a success, regardless of ash color.

hogfoot

Lurker
May 10, 2013
@dms17: Indeed. However, to ensure my pipes do not go sour, I will take particular care with the smoke following a 'bad' smoke, so as to properly dry out the bowl. Thus, smokes that I 'technically' consider 'bad' can still have been enjoyable smokes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I am smoking I make sure to use my tamper to get the un burnt tobacco around the sides back into the middle so that when I am done smoking all I have is ash.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I find it happens alot with FM blends. Not all of it burns. I'm trying to figure out a way to help it all burn and it looks like adding a small pinch of burley to it might help. Anyone tried that?

Status
Not open for further replies.