PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barred-owl

Lurker
Feb 6, 2021
So I’ve been sampling different Virginia’s and Virginia blends to see what I’m going to like the best. In doing so I’ve tried some that are very irritating to my mouth regardless of how slow, wet, or dry I smoke them. What’s the likelihood that a few years aging will reduce or even possibly eliminate the harshness/mouth irritation issues I’m getting?

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Age generally tends to be kind to Virginias, especially bright Virginia, which can be acidic, grassy and floral. With age, both aspects settle down and I find brights to be more palatable. Gold Va. has similar benefits as the bright with age, and both develop a more mature citrus sweetness. Stoved may lose some sweetness if aged a long, long time. Red and brown get deeper in flavor.

Barred-owl

Lurker
Feb 6, 2021
The irritation is like the roof of my mouth kinda “swells” and and gets like after I bite into a slice of pizza that’s too hot and my tongue just goes numb but slightly stinging. Just hard to describe. I don’t think it’s tongue bite because it subsides very quickly after I stop smoking. Even gives me a little cottonmouth dry mouth feeling like when you drink very strong tea. I believe the term is astringent like effect only very potent.

Status
Not open for further replies.