Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga

Code:
[quote][/quote]

The quote buttons are a little screwy for me too. The / is the closing tag. Quoted text goes between the two tags.

Mar 1, 2014
This is almost as much fun as the religion thread.
Anchovyd, every device you've posted about thus far is a scam.
It's actually hilarious how strong placebo is. Your friend may swear that his machine works, but in many quitting aid trials the placebo is highly effective too.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripening

I'm tempted to stick a banana in my next jar (which I'm sure is actually a terrible idea).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis

Maybe this is part of the process that we're experiencing? When did they start dousing tobacco in glycerin?

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I work in the wine trade and - ageing wine happens due to the extremely slow exchange of oxygen through the closure into the wine. This develops the flavours and texture of the wine.
Most wine is at its best on release or within a year or so. The vast majority of white wine does not improve with age and only certain wines, usually red and of a good quality (and designed to age) get better with ten years of ageing. How a magnet replicates this I don't know and don't believe it!
Why would I want to replicate ageing wine ten years with a machine? If most wine is better in its relative youth then I'll not risk it and patiently age those wines I know will improve and reward my patience and self control
The same goes for pipe tobacco....

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Most wine is at its best on release or within a year or so. The vast majority of white wine does not improve with age and only certain wines, usually red and of a good quality (and designed to age) get better with ten years of ageing.
This is an interesting tidbit for me. They're renting storage units around here with "wine storage" as part of the gig, which I am guessing means temp/humidity managed in some way. Are these people buying super-expensive wine designed to age, or just fooling themselves?

Mar 1, 2014
I've seen references to wine banks several times, that your ROI is going to be better that interest at most banks. People buy wine simply because it holds value better than money.

I've also heard that the majority of gold being traded today doesn't really exist, that it's effectively just another currency (only the U.S. Government can't ban it). I have to wonder how similar the situation is.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've talked with pipe guys that've forgotten more than I'll ever know about pipes and tobacco on the subject of baking tins to replicate the "let's wait 5 years and hope" method and I've been told there are some benefits. My personal view is not to put anything in my wife's oven or microwave that wasn't meant to be put in there, period. Exploding tins and un-announced naps that cause the tin to over cook is not something I want to deal with. It's all part of the hobby sure but it's something I'm only curious about and I probably will continue to age the tobaccos I want aged the old fashion way, with time.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
That pyramid research kit looks like a Ron Popeil invention sold on infomercials on late night TV. Keeps your bananas fresh while it turns your grapes into raisins & ages your tobacco, all at the same time!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Test of image embedding from iPad
Test of image
pyramid-assembly1.jpg

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
This is an interesting tidbit for me. They're renting storage units around here with "wine storage" as part of the gig, which I am guessing means temp/humidity managed in some way. Are these people buying super-expensive wine designed to age, or just fooling themselves?
If these people are renting wine storage space it probably is the good stuff! There is still plenty of age-able wine out there and a lot of the best stuff is indeed bought as a commodity investment as frozenchurchwarden referred to. My ex in-laws used to buy cases of wine that should have been drunk within a year and kept it for years - it tasted horrible! They just assumed all wines age and they definitely do not!
I wonder if the same goes for tobacco?? As a relative newbie this is not something I know a great deal about!

anchovyd

Might Stick Around
May 17, 2015
Well, this is diappointing. I figured at least one of you out there would've tried out one of these methods. That little age accelerating rack looks like it'd be great for my mason jars. I know that the magnetic aging seems dubious but that is what I thought about those magnetic copper bracelets but half the PGA tour are wearing them and my friend was convinced of its effect on wine.
The Pyramid Power I'm not too sure how it'd work. I've seen tests where fruits and milk don't rot or spoil so maybe it would stop the aging process but I have read stories about it boosting the potency of the RYO that's legal in Colorado and Washington and New Mexico for medical use. Even my high school chemistry teacher testified that it really worked great on marijuana but that he didn't know how the Pyramid did it.
Like I said, I will take one for the forum. I'll make the run to Home Depot and get the PVC or dowels and make a Pyramid for pipe tobacco and will post my results and findings. It looks like you need to use the proportions of one of the egyptian pyramids for maximal benefit, you can't just make any kind of tetrahedron.
It will be my honor to have my curiousity serve the pipe community. First in, 1Q.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
First: Wine is an even more complicated mess-o-chemicals and long- and short-term reactions than tobacco is. Bottle aging of wine is a many-faceted process that cannot be accelerated by sticking a bottle in some sort of ultrasonic generator, surrounding it by rare earth magnets, or sticking it under a pyramid. It takes time for tannin polymerization to occur, and the micro-oxygenation that takes place through the closure is, and must be, a slow process. The cascade of reactions that result in beautifully aged wines, rather than bottles of old plonk, is a delicate dance that is easily disrupted if the bottles are subjected to heat, vibration, light, or if corks fail. It's possible that some sort of contrivance can help a wine that's tightly knit to open up a little more quickly, but that's more likely a result of aeration than anything else, and has nothing to do with the byproducts of aging. (My suspicion is that decanting the bottle and giving it some time to breath will have the same effect, albeit over a slightly longer time period.)
The same thing is true of tobaccos. Cooking it will certainly change it, volatilizing bound flavor and aroma compounds and distributing them more evenly in the mixture, hydrolyzing sugars, perhaps even caramelizing if the temperature is high enough. What comes out of the oven is likely going to be very different from what went in. But, it's not aged, nor will the aging process be accelerated as a result of doing this.
Nothing but time will achieve the results we love in aged blends. Save the pyramid, magnet and ultrasonic generator money for more tobacco and an Igloo cooler, and just put the stuff away for a while...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Damnation! Tarnation! The gotta-have-it-this-minute nation will have to wait the good old fashioned way for fine wine and great tobacco. I guess the old ads, "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!" were true enough.

Mar 1, 2014
anchovyd:

It will be my honor to have my curiousity serve the pipe community. First in, 1Q.
I'm not sure if this is meant to be sarcasm or trolling, but I'll play along.
1-Q won't age no matter what you do because it's a Cavendish Aromatic and gets all of its flavor from the topping. Cavendish tobacco has had most of the natural flavor steamed out of it and what remains exists for its ability to absorb flavor and burn easily.

What you'll need is something that actually ages well, maybe some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake or Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, two jars, and then a blind test with at least three people who have no idea what's been done.

Otherwise you'll just be fooling yourself and no-one will be able to take anything you say seriously.

This would probably be best done in cooperation with a local pipe club, if you can get them to listen past the first sentence.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
From Einstein's work we know that if you go really fast, the speed of light or thereabouts, you age less. How then to age tobacco by reverse engineering Einstein, sort of?
The normal trip to the store is ten minutes each way. My grandpa makes the same trip in two hours.
If I put tobacco tins for aging in the backseat of my grandfather's '72 Olds as he goes to the store, will it be older when he comes back? How much older than if I left in on the shelf?
I calculate this slowness would speed up the aging process, but I'm no Einstein.
How many trips to the store for grandpa to age a tin of tobacco by one year? I can provide latitude and longitude as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.