PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Was gonna say teeth or no teeth literally I leave my dentures in the cup for morning and late night smokes. Vulcanite mostly clenched with gums and lips, ( full bents come in handy with no teeth) 🤣🤣🤣
For some reason I get better leverage with straight or slightly bent pipes with no teeth, the severely bent ones cut into my gums. It's how I clench my giant pipes too. I could never have done that with teeth.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
For some reason I get better leverage with straight or slightly bent pipes with no teeth, the severely bent ones cut into my gums. It's how I clench my giant pipes too. I could never have done that with teeth.
Yeah with the full bents it’s just leverage and gravity that keeps em there and it’s mostly my upper lip wrapped around my upper gum , great for reading whilst in the rocking chair…

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Very interesting question - I've thought about it as well. I'm not a clencher - when I clench to do something quickly with my hands, I feel I have to bite down to hard, or the stem rotates between my teeth and I'm worried about leaving huge grind marks in it, not to mention that I just slobber like a fool and the pipe starts to gurgle. I also just like to hold the pipe in my hands, to move it around to different parts of my mouth, right side to left. I sometimes puff in front of my teeth, but tend to keep the stem just between them as I hold the pipe, thinking that the smoke can't be too good for the front enamel.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Although I clench some of the time and hold the pipe in my hands some of the time…. I never thought or imagined drawing smoke from the stem with the stem in front of my teeth. To me, it sounds awkward (and after just trying it…. I can say with certainty that it feels awkward to me). So, I would say I am a 100% behind the teeth person.

In my mind, that is the REASON for the button on the stem… the button hangs onto the inside edge of your teeth. The only pipes I can think of without some type of button are “traditional” clay pipes.

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I have a big box of various size replacement bits.
I chew them to pieces.
But I don't generally smoke expensive pipes.
Mr Brog, MM Cobbs and various other cheapos.

Reactions: dctune

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Ahhhh, I just realized, I puff with the stem some times in front of my teeth, and then behind. LOL 😆

I wasn’t really giving much thought before, until this thread, but I typically hold my pipes and when I’m ready to take a puff, I just do it one way or another.

I guess it’s like mood, or feeling related, but involuntarily doing it without thought. I’ll hold and puff one way, then another time, another way, and I actually realize, I go back and forth a lot.

I guess, the analogy in my mind, is like related to eating. Who always chews their food the same, and always on the same side of their mouth, LOL... 😆

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
mixed. I clench and I also kiss the pipe. Depends on which pipe. The Brebbia I don't even put the button in my mouth just my lips on it. The Vauen the button goes between the lips and teeth. The Peterson system spigot goes in the same space clenching or kissing. I prefer kissing the pipe over clenching but I still clench at moments often to free my hands including really cold days when I need to warm my hands a bit.

dctune

Very interesting question - I've thought about it as well. I'm not a clencher - when I clench to do something quickly with my hands, I feel I have to bite down to hard, or the stem rotates between my teeth and I'm worried about leaving huge grind marks in it, not to mention that I just slobber like a fool and the pipe starts to gurgle. I also just like to hold the pipe in my hands, to move it around to different parts of my mouth, right side to left. I sometimes puff in front of my teeth, but tend to keep the stem just between them as I hold the pipe, thinking that the smoke can't be too good for the front enamel.
Like you, I’ll clench temporarily. But never for long, for the same reasons. I too worry about the enamel. But I also seem to catch a lot more flavor when I “filter” through the teeth. I guess every bowl really is just a nonstop dance bt dif sides of my mouth, in front of teeth, behind teeth, sometimes farther toward the back of the tongue. However, one thing I do consistently: every light and relight happens between the far left incisors.

Reactions: sparker69