To sand or not to sand? (briar bowl inside)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dyakoff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2022
Ukraine
Dear gentlemen,

If you get a moment to spare on my question I would be much obliged.

The pipe in question has sentimental value, since it was my first pipe and it was a birthday present from my wife.

It went through all newbie mistakes possible through 5 years of use.

Lately after picking up some knowledge here and there I am beginning to think I should start taking better care of it and probably “start anew”.

I have cleaned the bowl with alcohol to get a better understanding of the amount of damage my unskillful behaviour has inflicted on the briar.

What would your professional opinion be:
A) should I sand the bowl
or
B) should I smoke it properly and the caverns will “heal” with cake?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 85AE7E89-327C-46B2-BA65-8817531D73F5.jpeg
    85AE7E89-327C-46B2-BA65-8817531D73F5.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 35
  • A0499855-B6E2-4C66-AD2E-87D4A28A8A93.jpeg
    A0499855-B6E2-4C66-AD2E-87D4A28A8A93.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 35
  • F0DE81E6-3669-4AEF-9C7D-F0C5A58ECE84.jpeg
    F0DE81E6-3669-4AEF-9C7D-F0C5A58ECE84.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 33
  • A8D3C835-AFA4-4DE7-ABC0-53DAC6C08A37.jpeg
    A8D3C835-AFA4-4DE7-ABC0-53DAC6C08A37.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 34
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
No expert. But the caverns you refer to, aren't they in the cake? If it's cake, it'll fill during more smokes.
Only when the cake has built up too much, you might want to, very carefully try sanding it.
I have experienced the same, without issue.
Actually, I don't think there's too much, if any issue with the bowl of your pipe. Don't, for goodness sake, go sanding the rim.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
The bottom of the bowl shows "fresh" briar, which is good.
The rim looks fine, only needs a carefull cleaning.
If I were in your shoes ( which I am of course not ) I'd carefully sand the interior of the bowl
just a little further with some fine sandpaper wrapped around a proper sized dowel
and then proceed as in the videos :
If the spiderwebbing is in the cake only, no worry.
It then makes for a very personal choice : to sand, or not to sand :)

Reactions: Papamique
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Or the end of a finger. In many cases, a wet paper towel will easily clean softer cake away without risk of damaging the chamber or rim.
Around my index finger for sure .
Ideally we should have several properly sized and shaped dowels and clad them with aprox. 3 mm.
foam like the mouse pad stuff. If we when wrap sand paper around them it will give more "feeling " when sanding
and the paper will somehow "go" with the chamber. It may seem unsignificant, but it makes a hugh difference.
Do you take my meaning ? Does this makes sense :)

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If we when wrap sand paper around them it will give more "feeling " when sanding
and the paper will somehow "go" with the chamber. It may seem unsignificant, but it makes a hugh difference.
Yeah, my finger does well enough without egregiously over thinking it.

20221008_010518.jpg20221021_065244.jpg

A wet paper towel will also make short work of rim buildup without employing the use of an improvised prison shank as well. rotf

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Lol holy hell! How long did that take to build up? I obviously do not smoke enough 😂
No kidding I've smoked for decades and have only ever seem such buildup on estate purchases. The seller said it was from a family member's collection and hadn't been smoked since 1985 but it must have been a favorite.

Reactions: boilerman19

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
It seems those pits and spiderwebbing are in the carbon layer you are beginning to build up. I would continue smoking it to build up more before doing any scraping, reeming or sanding. As for the rim, dip a paper towel in some black coffee and you can use it to wash that residue right off. Works great. A tip I learned on this forum ! Just a suggestion. Best wishes and good luck ! Very nice pipe by the way.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I would like to thank everyone for for advice and special gratitude for the coffee tip. It had an incredible and immediate impact. Just wow.
You are welcome here. I've only been a member for 10 months but it has been an incredible learning experience. The other members here are experts !! Almost every question you could possibly have has been asked and answered here with unbelievable instruction, tips, tricks, and short cuts. Use the search function too ! When your briar pipe starts to taste bad ... clean the airway with some alcohol on a pipe cleaner then fill the chamber with salt and some alcohol and let it sit for 24 hours....the salt absorbs the tannins and oils. Wipe out salt and pipe is completely refreshed like new. Coffee and salt and packing looser than I did are instructions I learned here that changed everything. Good Luck and enjoy the journey. If only there were sites like this for everything else in life !!

Reactions: ARTOPUT