48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 26, 2020
Lancaster, PA
I prefer to rest my "better" pipes (ones I find that smoke best for me, not price). My caretaking decisions are based on how the pipe handles the first few smokes. My system pipes get really soaked and nasty sometimes in the reservoir. If I didn't rest these or take better care of them, I think I would see issues in the reservoir and shank area. I found a cheap Peterson system pipe recently. It smokes great, but you can see in that area the previous owner did not take care of it. This reassured me why I go the extra mile with those types of pipes (spigot/army mount).

I have a few cheap basket pipes I've been running through hell and back over the years. Minimal care, and they look like an average used smoking pipe.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I'm wondering where in the resting or not resting process you all take the stem off to really clean in the draft and mortise? I've always operated under the assumption that it's not good to remove the stem right after a smoke as that could damage the shank.

SO right after a smoke I usually run a pipe cleaner through with the stem on, wipe out the bowl with a few bent cleaners, and then I let mine sit overnight before I take the stem off in the morning and clean in the draft and mortise, and then leave it for a few more days before I smoke it again.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I'm wondering where in the resting or not resting process you all take the stem off to really clean in the draft and mortise? I've always operated under the assumption that it's not good to remove the stem right after a smoke as that could damage the shank.

SO right after a smoke I usually run a pipe cleaner through with the stem on, wipe out the bowl with a few bent cleaners, and then I let mine sit overnight before I take the stem off in the morning and clean in the draft and mortise, and then leave it for a few more days before I smoke it again.
I only take mine apart usually one a week and give it a hot water flush let it dry for about an hour and light it back up

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama

I clean the pipes I smoke during the day in the evening time while watching tv so those pipes have had plenty of cool down time. Pipes smoked after this time get cleaned the following day. I've always waited for a least 1 hour for the pipe to cool down before stem removal as per pipe repairmen articles that I have read stating to wait that long. Military mount can be taken apart anytime. I always reinsert stem after cleaning.. asap.

Reactions: lightxmyfire

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

I let the pipe cool which takes like a few minutes. Take the stem out run a pipe cleaner through the stem backwards from the point that enters the mortise out the part that part that goes in the mouth. I run it the whole way through poke the clean end into draft hole spin it around a bit then fold the cleaner near the middle swab out the mortise find another clean section fold that over and wipe out the chamber. Seems to work really well for me. And sometimes I skip that process completely because I am an easily distracted person.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Something else I forgot about, and have not seen any mention of.

I always wipe the chambers out lightly with a paper towel, so I don’t really have a carbon build up.

Either way, no carbon, light carbon, etc., this deposit is sticky to the touch, and the tars and resins should be dried out before smoking again, this is also a part of the Chamber Curing I was talking about before.

I think it’s personally good to gently rub a finger around inside the chamber, also gently pressing against it, to see if there’s a sticky feel to it.

If the chamber is sticky, it should be allowed to dry before smoking again.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

I replied saying I wipe them out on Post #45, look up or click the link below. :)

But this is to gently wipe away some ash and resin, not scraping away. It’s natural for the chamber to be sticky after smoking, tabac tar and resins are sticky.

Last edited:

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
Never felt the need to rest my pipes, but then again, I rarely smoke more than a bowl a day.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Never felt the need to rest my pipes, but then again, I rarely smoke more than a bowl a day.

I smoke only 1 bowl in a pipe most of the time, then let them rest for several days. Read what I posted, then try and see.

If you also have a nice pipe, it will greatly benefit from resting.

I even rest my $10 Cobs several days before smoking.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I will rest a pipe sometimes, but sometimes not. I have only one pipe for my deertongue tobaccos, so it gets worked hard when I am in the mood for those blends. I wipe and clean after each smoking session, which may be multiple bowls if I am feeling froggy.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
When I first started I thought this rotation idea was just something you tell your wife in order to justify owning more than one pipe.
Now years later, I still think that...

• Haha
Reactions: Toast and jpmcwjr
Popeye Pipe Spin GIF | Gfycat

• Haha
Reactions: Toast and jpmcwjr