To Cut or Not to Cut? (Threaded Stinger)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Ashton Pipes
2 Fresh Silver Gray Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
24 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
Hey all,
I just want to see what the consensus is on these threaded stingers. This one is in an estate/ebay meerschaum. The airflow is restricted, but, certainly, still enjoyable. At this point the pipe needs to be separated to be cleaned. This is cumbersome because I will likely pack 2-3 bowls of this size in one sitting. I have read on other forums that guys will cut the nub off after the thread, or drill a hole to pass a pipe cleaner through. After the hours I took to restore this pipe, and the lovely coloring and smoke I get from it, I would be very disappointed if I damaged it. However, I do not believe a stinger is necessary in meerschaum because I can tell the material absorbs moisture fast enough for my purposes. So if I can remove it to create a more optimal experience I will. I have plenty of cutting tools. Here are some pics for reference. Please excuse the dirty stem this is a screenshot from my restoration video. Does anyone have any experience with this??

P.S. This pipe was sold to me as an "unknown" brand and if anyone knows what I'm looking at I'd love to know.Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 1.00.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-01-20 at 1.10.01 AM.png

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Typically, when I look to purchase an estate, if I see the stinger was cut off I pass. The reason for that is historical purity of the object. However, it is your pipe and you should do what you believe is best for you. Non removable. Stingers were often found on Kaywoodie pipes.

Your pipe is interesting in that the stinger appears to have already been modified. In your case I’d recommend opening it up The rest of the way.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Hey all,
I just want to see what the consensus is on these threaded stingers. This one is in an estate/ebay meerschaum. The airflow is restricted, but, certainly, still enjoyable. At this point the pipe needs to be separated to be cleaned. This is cumbersome because I will likely pack 2-3 bowls of this size in one sitting. I have read on other forums that guys will cut the nub off after the thread, or drill a hole to pass a pipe cleaner through. After the hours I took to restore this pipe, and the lovely coloring and smoke I get from it, I would be very disappointed if I damaged it. However, I do not believe a stinger is necessary in meerschaum because I can tell the material absorbs moisture fast enough for my purposes. So if I can remove it to create a more optimal experience I will. I have plenty of cutting tools. Here are some pics for reference. Please excuse the dirty stem this is a screenshot from my restoration video. Does anyone have any experience with this??

P.S. This pipe was sold to me as an "unknown" brand and if anyone knows what I'm looking at I'd love to know.View attachment 280973View attachment 280974

The only thing historical about that pipe was which mail order pipe seller sold it.

Cut that thing off.

A Kaywoodie four hole stinger pipe loses collectible value if you cut off the stinger.

A three hole Kaywoodie—-it’s your pipe, it’s not collectible anyway.

A no name — cut it.

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
It really is interesting! How did they manage to make that cut!!?? Someone must have been very conflicted to make that cut and leave the stinger-end.

Good to hear from you BL. I am not concerned with the resale value, I just want the darn thing to smoke a little better.

So just to be clear, cutting beyond the threads would not, and should not, effect the seating of the stem? The restoration continues.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It really is interesting! How did they manage to make that cut!!?? Someone must have been very conflicted to make that cut and leave the stinger-end.

Good to hear from you BL. I am not concerned with the resale value, I just want the darn thing to smoke a little better.

So just to be clear, cutting beyond the threads would not, and should not, effect the seating of the stem? The restoration continues.

I’ve had a few of those and may still have one somewhere.

That bright yellow stem is an early plastic like Bakelite. It’s as fragile as an egg.

The pipe looks pressed meerschaum.

A lot of those will have Austria stamped somewhere.

They never really color, but they smoke about like a true block Meerscaum

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
If the "lick test" is any testament, it would seem to be block. And the coloring seems significant in my one day of use. There's a Tekin I'd like to buy and I wanted to make sure meer was for me first, so I'm not mad at the $30 it took to get this pipe. I like it. I do not see any stamps on this pipe. I cannot confirm if the stem is as fragile as you say.

Nevertheless, cutting worked. I'm sure my neighbors love the sound of grinding metal at 2am. It was only for a second though;)
IMG_20240120_015957510.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240120_015923894.jpg
    IMG_20240120_015923894.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 7

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Generally speaking, I would say leaving the stinger in would help when it comes time to sell the pipe but otherwise light her up."