PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
To My Church-Going Friends,
As I sit at my desk preparing for our longest night service at Trinity and thinking about my colleagues, I wanted to share a thought with you. Right now, there is a man or woman working at a desk and they're tired. They're tired, they're stressed out, and they're probably a little (if not very) overwhelmed. You see, they've been working really, really long days and nights for almost four weeks now. If they have family, they not only have the pressures of making Christmas an awesome and meaningful experience for their family (which they're probably terribly behind on and feel like they barely see them) but they're also pouring their heart and soul into making this Season and especially Tuesday night a deeply meaningful and heartfelt encounter with the Birth of Christ for you too. He or she probably has bags under his or her eyes, looks worn down, and a little disheveled. You might not know how utterly exhausted they are. That's because Sunday morning and Tuesday evening, they're going to put on their best face for you, they're going to smile and laugh, and share in your joy. Then, they'll go home and hurriedly make last minute preparations for family before they collapse wishing the morning were just a few hours longer away and lamenting the things they could have done better. You won't know it, though. They may be embarrassed I'm telling you all this. That's because we care about you and love you deeply. We think you're worth it... Because you are.
So, if you have a pastor and you happen to see him or her in the next few days or week or two, do something nice for them... Even if you can't stand them, they're working hard for you. Just a kind word or a simple reaffirmation can go a long way and give someone a second wind for the marathon.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Not only during this season, either. The pastor that sat with my family daily for a week when my father fought, then passed. The pastor that was at every Scout camp, every school sports event, every choir practice. The USAF chaplain that could spot someone wearing "the mask" and knowing exactly what to say and do.
They do much work, and deserve our encouragement and thanks.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I know we have a rule about "religious" posts....

However; I don't think this falls into that category.

This is about the spirit of Christmas.

That is; to do a little something extra for those that you care about, even those you don't know or will (in all likelihood) never meet again.

Open a door, wish a stranger a Merry Christmas, and mean it, all of my friends understand what is conveyed by that simple greeting and fare thee well, meaning even those of differing faiths.
Thank you Quincy for the excellent post.

Merry Christmas.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Yikes! Thanks Lawrence! I just reviewed the rules again to brush up. I saw no inflammatory and no political posts but nothing about Religion. However, I'm painfully aware that religious posts can quickly become inflammatory. It certainly wasn't my intent! Thank you for allowing me the grace on this one and understanding it's intention.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
Good post, Quincy. I appreciate your reminder and Merry Christmas.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
You are absolutely right Quincy! May God Bless you and Pastors and Clergy that work so hard, I pray you have a blessed Christmas in the Lord..What a beautiful post.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My Grandfather was a minister, so I understand what you are saying. More problems seemed to pop up in December than any other time of the year.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Well said Quincy, my childhood and adolescence would have been a lot tougher if Father Gibney hadn't been there to give advice, a helping hand, or an extra for a game of shinny. Cheers my friend, merry Christmas, and God bless you and yours!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since this Christmas thread popped up again just at the beginning of summer, I'll ask: has anyone ever thought of,

or actually done, a Christmas carol singalong in mid-summer? It would be a little quirky, but might make July seem

more festive in a new way.

Status
Not open for further replies.