PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
Lesson: Not as bad as getting sushi at the gas station, but one should never order Tiramisu at a place that does mainly Pizza.

Were you outraged? Or merely offended? :)

Merely offended puffy

Yes, sushi at a gas station, you’ll likely be making another pit stop shortly after...

I had a great panini once in a gas station in Sicily.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
No, it was literally a chain called AutoZone or something on the side of a highway... like an Italian WaWa (not sure you have those out there).
Haha we don’t but I have been to them.

how about Harris Teeter?

or my favorite name for a gas station chain: Kum & Go ?

Jan 27, 2020
Haha we don’t but I have been to them.

how about Harris Teeter?

or my favorite name for a gas station chain: Kum & Go ?

Nah, just WaWa and Quick Check...

I have a Chinese restaurant near me called Kum Kao, guess that’s not nearly as bad ?

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think Harris Teeter are in PA ?

that's got to be a lot of Kum.

edit: Harris Teeter is a grocery store. still a hilarious name.

• Wow
Reactions: puff_not_snuff

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
The BEST tiramisu I ever had was at Geronimo’s in Santa Fe.
We were the last table in for the night.
After entre, the waiter asked about desert. Whatever the next table over had looked pretty good, so I told him I’ll have some of that.
What came out was about a 5”x5” portion of what he informed me was tiramisu, and that since we were the last table of the night I was served the very last bit from the chef.
The sugar/coffee/raspberry rush lasted for hours!!
INCREDIBLE.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
I passed by the other day... still open.
That’s great to hear. Back in the day when I was living in NJ every Sunday my buddy and I would drive to Hoboken and take the Path into the city for lunch/dinner or just walk around. Most of the time we’d go to La Mella (back when it was only 1 building) then hit Ferrara, followed by some bars in Hoboken. No greater feeling of freedom than living 30 minutes from Manhattan in your teens and 20s.

Reactions: BROBS

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Apologies for chiming in so very late, and, well. . . gloating is probably the right word.

But there have been so very few happy advantages to the past 21 weeks of lockdown here in New York. One of them, however, is delivery. And especially from local restaurants you've patronized for a while, want to support, and hope will survive whatever is still coming.

For me, my shortlist includes Motorino Pizza on Broadway in Williamsburg Brooklyn (originally opened here in 2008) --which I can honestly say (based on a decade living in Italy) can hold its own with old school spots in towns like Naples and Bari. Absolutely no compromises are made with ingredients, and their large wood fired oven looks quite as convincing as those at Johns on Bleeker Street, Pepe's and Sally's in New Haven, and all the other great pizza dynasties I've visited that were founded on the continent in the 1920s.

Many restaurants, including Motorino (which evidently has pretentious to worldwide conquest and domination with recent branches opened elsewhere in NYC, Hong Kong, Dubai, Manila, Maylasia, and Singapore) claim they're being eaten alive by the middleman fees being charged by Seamless/Grubhub. So, last night I telephoned rather than ordering online.

Ten minutes later, ECCO!--a beautifully charred, piping hot pie with spicy soppressata. And as a surprise "thank you," a free, and totally unexpected and totally convincing Tirumisu, that tasted freshly made. Really quite as good as their pizzas (which was equally surprising).

Jan 27, 2020
That’s great to hear. Back in the day when I was living in NJ every Sunday my buddy and I would drive to Hoboken and take the Path into the city for lunch/dinner or just walk around. Most of the time we’d go to La Mella (back when it was only 1 building) then hit Ferrara, followed by some bars in Hoboken. No greater feeling of freedom than living 30 minutes from Manhattan in your teens and 20s.

I grew up in central jersey and started taking the train to the city alone some time in high school. I would head straight to the patisserie Ceci Cela which was on Spring Street then for an almond croissant and cappuccino (which was exotic for me at that age). That bakery is still around but has really gone down hill...

Jan 27, 2020
Apologies for chiming in so very late, and, well. . . gloating is probably the right word.

But there have been so very few happy advantages to the past 21 weeks of lockdown here in New York. One of them, however, is delivery. And especially from local restaurants you've patronized for a while, want to support, and hope will survive whatever is still coming.

For me, my shortlist includes Motorino Pizza on Broadway in Williamsburg Brooklyn (originally opened here in 2008) --which I can honestly say (based on a decade living in Italy) can hold its own with old school spots in towns like Naples and Bari. Absolutely no compromises are made with ingredients, and their large wood fired oven looks quite as convincing as those at Johns on Bleeker Street, Pepe's and Sally's in New Haven, and all the other great pizza dynasties I've visited that were founded on the continent in the 1920s.

Many restaurants, including Motorino (which evidently has pretentious to worldwide conquest and domination with recent branches opened elsewhere in NYC, Hong Kong, Dubai, Manila, Maylasia, and Singapore) claim they're being eaten alive by the middleman fees being charged by Seamless/Grubhub. So, last night I telephoned rather than ordering online.

Ten minutes later, ECCO!--a beautifully charred, piping hot pie with spicy soppressata. And as a surprise "thank you," a free, and totally unexpected and totally convincing Tirumisu, that tasted freshly made. Really quite as good as their pizzas (which was equally surprising).

That was a nice touch :) I haven’t been to that place since shortly after it opened. I too dislike those restaurants that over expand, Pj Clark’s a time some point opened a bunch of places overseas most of which I believe closed.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
That was a nice touch :) I haven’t been to that place since shortly after it opened. I too dislike those restaurants that over expand, Pj Clark’s a time some point opened a bunch of places overseas most of which I believe closed.
I actually visited the PJ Clark's in Paris a few eons ago--before cash machines were everywhere, and gasp, yes, there were phone booths (which very seldom worked) on city street corners. I was not quite down and out but running very short on cash, and managed to bludgeon/shame the manager into cashing a personal check (if you remember them-- written with a pen on paper). This, if I recall, with a little extra enthusiasm fueled by a few drinks, on the basis I was an AMERICAN.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.