PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Hi All,
I have thus far only had tobacco from square tins (SG/GH) and round tins (Peterson/Dunhill). I find that the Peterson/Dunhill tins, after opening, retain the tobacco's moisture for a longer time, while I usually have to rehydrate the SG tobacco before I've finished it.
I have some GLP/C&D/H&H tobaccos sitting in my drawer. I've heard many things about how good the tobacco from these blenders is. However, I haven't opened them because I don't know how well they will keep with just the plastic lid on.
My question for you all is as follows. Where do the GLP-type tins fall on the moisture-retaining-ability spectrum? I don't smoke THAT often; if these tins lose moisture even faster than the square tins, I may have to invest in some jars.
Thanks in advance!

-Swilly

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
The C&D/McClelland style tins (cans, really) are best for long-term storage. The traditional square and round tins are more likely to get a broken seal and they are useless once opened (I put these tins inside of a plastic bag once I open them).

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
I will have to disagree for the C&D tins and long term storage. Even if the seals on the traditional tins where more likely to fail(doubtful since as tobacco ferments it usually uses up oxygen thus creating a tighter vacuum), the "tin can" style tins have a large seam where the sheet metal was pressed and that point is much more likely to fail, they are also much more prone to rust and damage. I don't even keep the tobacco in the cans, I mason jar them right away, just don't trust a tin can to keep my baccy fresh. My 0.02$

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Opened pop top tins can be sealed for long term storage by rubbing wax along the rim, placing aluminum foil on it,

and snapping the plastic cap in place over the whole thing.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
Opened pop top tins can be sealed for long term storage by rubbing wax along the rim, placing aluminum foil on it,

and snapping the plastic cap in place over the whole thing.
Never would of tried that, very interesting tip!

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Fantastic help guys, I will try all of these methods!
Best,

Swilly

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I respectfully disagree that tins from GL Pease and C&D are better for long term storage than the round or square all metal tins. I had serious issues with the older GL Pease tins and I know others who have also had problems. I have heard those issues have been addressed but the jury is out for me until 5 years from now and I open one to see how it is doing. I have round tins from 1997 that are still perfect.
Once I have opened any tin, I store them in a plastic container I get at walmart and they stay fresh for months.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, I am talking about the round tins that were around in 2002, I don't know if they were one piece or not. I had 2002 tins that dried up to dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.