PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
You've been given excellent advice on this thread by very reputable contributors. I will only add one thing, which is to be careful. As soon as I got my first really well made 'artisan' pipe PAD kicked in real bad

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Yes. High end PAD can lead to DAD, Debt Acquisition Disorder... 8O
A good way to kill a lot of time and get a feel for the variety is to go to SP.com and use the pipe locator, focusing a while on each shape category. Lots of different perspectives in one spot.
jay-roger.jpg

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Try to look for Indonesian pipe maker. Some of them have a great pipe making skill and ship internationally. Budget friendly too :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The safest way to go is with a well-known pipe carver like Tinsky and others regularly mentioned on Forums. You'll pay for the known name, but you will probably get a good pipe. If you need or want to be more thrifty, there are many talented carvers who are not "names," who do beautiful work. I prefer to see a selection of pipes in person and find my "soul mate" among them rather than do a commission and hope for the best, but either way works. Some carvers are not trying to pay their bills with their sales and can be much more easygoing about price, and some will go easy on what they perceive to be knowledgeable pipe people.

Status
Not open for further replies.