PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogfire

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2019
I bought a Peterson Donegal Rocky pipe X105, It is a straight billard style. Great pipe except for the fact that the stem is a really tight fit into the shank. Very difficult to turn or remove. Any suggestions as to what I can use to make it turn more smoothly?

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
If it gets to the point where you can't remove it don't try and force it. put it in the freezer for 15 minutes or so. It Should come out like a baby bird at the point. I would say the the Ferrell is holding excess moisture. Give it a good rest and cleanit out. I've found the heat from a pipe retort to loosen the stem a bit as well.

Reactions: f5rd2hy and Bengel

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
If it's just arrived in the mail, I'd let it sit for a few days before doing anything. It may just need to adjust to ambient conditions and loosen up naturally. If it's still tight after a week, you can start figuring out what to do then. I've had to sandpaper the tenons on a couple of mine.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I rub the tenon a a drt bar of ivory soap. People freak out a little when I say this, however, it has no effect on the taste of tobaccos, and it works. Hat tip Mike Gluker at BriarBlues.

:)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
First thing to do is smoke the hell out of it for a week or two, and not worry in the mean time. If already done, the above suggestions will all work if it hasn't loosened by then.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I use a small round needle file like this:
It was about £1 on ebay, I just run it around the inside of the shank and it seems to do the trick.
Don't overdo it though and go SLOWLY or you'll end up with a loose stem instead of a tight one.

Chris.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I subscribe to all the options above that don’t involve removing material.

Let it rest after travel.
Prime the tenon with ivory soap or beeswax.
Smoke it.
If it is dry, and room temperature and still jammed, freeze it for ten minutes and then try to remove the stem.

If the issue is chronic, then I’d consider removing material... and advise the retailer of the QC issue. I did this with a 2016 Pete Christmas pipe that had a stem in which the button was at a 45 degree angle from the rim of the bowl when the tenon was seated flush and flat in the mortise. Fixed it myself, but sent a note to SPC and Peterson.

— pruss

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Ummm, I'd hate to try this on an expensive pipe… but,

I've always read to not remove and/or reinsert your stem while the pipe is hot. It will make it looser.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I use graphite powder, which is sold here in Germany for smoothening locks. Applied once, the graphite's effect will last for many smokes.

I've always read to not remove and/or reinsert your stem while the pipe is hot. It will make it looser.

I have to admit, that I always do remove my mouthpieces directly after smoking and never had any issue. I even have the impression, that the stems move smoother when the pipe is still warm and a bit moist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burley Guy
Jun 27, 2016
You can try beeswax, but don't be surprised if it sticks worse than before, or causes things to start breaking.

Graphite for tight stems.
Beeswax for loose stems.

Status
Not open for further replies.