PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is not Bernoulli's Principle at all. I also don't think it is the Venturi Effect.
The Venturi Effect is a direct result of Bernoulli's Principle. The increase of fluid velocity caused by restriction of flow like capping a water hose with your thumb. So yes, it's both.

unnamed-2.gif

"The Venturi effect (Giovanni Battista Venturi, 1797) is a direct consequence of the Bernoulli principle. It describes the effect by which a constriction to fluid flow through a tube causes the velocity of the fluid to increase and therefore the pressure to decrease."

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
The Venturi Effect is a direct result of Bernoulli's Principle. The increase of fluid velocity caused by restriction of flow like capping a water hose with your thumb. So yes, it's both.

View attachment 124122

"The Venturi effect (Giovanni Battista Venturi, 1797) is a direct consequence of the Bernoulli principle. It describes the effect by which a constriction to fluid flow through a tube causes the velocity of the fluid to increase and therefore the pressure to decrease."
@hoosierpipeguy You just got schooled! HaHa

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA

View attachment 124122

As in projectile diarrhea.

Reactions: BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
@hoosierpipeguy You just got schooled! HaHa

View attachment 124122

I understand the principles adequately. I just don't think that is what is happening when you cover the top of the pipe. I'm speculating that what is actually happening is you're creating a vacuum inside the bowl of the pipe. Nice to see you use Google to attempt to appear more intelligent.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Not a sports guy, what does it reference in golf?
Looks like it got covered. Ken was a great amateur, pro career burned short but bright - he had issues with wrists and hands that required surgeries and he left the Tour for the broadcast booth where he was very successful and had a long run with CBS - he was just one of those familiar voices to those of us who probably spent too much time watching golf on TV, lol. Kind of like Curt Gowdy and later Pat Summerall were to me in other contexts (though Pat did some golf as well).

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Looks like it got covered. Ken was a great amateur, pro career burned short but bright - he had issues with wrists and hands that required surgeries and he left the Tour for the broadcast booth where he was very successful and had a long run with CBS - he was just one of those familiar voices to those of us who probably spent too much time watching golf on TV, lol. Kind of like Curt Gowdy and later Pat Summerall were to me in other contexts (though Pat did some golf as well).
Definitely a different Venturi. LOL I did enjoy his commrntary though

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I understand the principles adequately. I just don't think that is what is happening when you cover the top of the pipe. I'm speculating that what is actually happening is you're creating a vacuum inside the bowl of the pipe. Nice to see you use Google to attempt to appear more intelligent.
The finger over the bowl is the bottle neck dividing the outside atmosphere from that of the inner chamber of the pipe. The restriction causes an increased speed in the air entering the chamber without changing the force of the draw on the pipe. A vacuum is created in both cases. Nice to see you use sarcasm to appear more intelligent but architecture requires knowledge of structural diagrams as well as electrical and fluid. Google just provided me with the illustrations.

Reactions: BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The finger over the bowl is the bottle neck dividing the outside atmosphere from that of the inner chamber of the pipe. The restriction causes an increased speed in the air entering the chamber without changing the force of the draw on the pipe. A vacuum is created in both cases. Nice to see you use sarcasm to appear more intelligent but architecture requires knowledge of structural diagrams as well as electrical and fluid. Google just provided me with the illustrations.
Actually, when I do it, what works is to cover the bowl completely which in turn creates a vacuum and requires that I pull harder in order to draw. Using your theory, it seems like if one were to cover the bowl with one finger, leaving half the open surface area open, that should create the Venturi Effect and in turn, "stoke" the ember. That in fact has zero effect. In fact, covering 3/4 of the bowl has zero effect. Doesn't that look like the diagram you copied and pasted? And if so, and it is the Venturi Effect as you claim, why doesn't that work?

If I'm wrong I'm wrong but in this case I don't think so. Either way, hardly earth shattering in either event.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
And the wording apparently. I didn't look it up with Google, just drawing on Fluid Dynamics Class from Engineering School. Only got a C or C+, that class was my Senior year when I was a lot more interested at that point in getting drunk and laid than I was school Not necessarily in that order or in that order of priority but the drunk most often proceeded the laid, especially when it came to the other party involved.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Actually, when I do it, what works is to cover the bowl completely which in turn creates a vacuum and requires that I pull harder in order to draw. Using your theory, it seems like if one were to cover the bowl with one finger, leaving half the open surface area open, that should create the Venturi Effect and in turn, "stoke" the ember. That in fact has zero effect. In fact, covering 3/4 of the bowl has zero effect. Doesn't that look like the diagram you copied and pasted? And if so, and it is the Venturi Effect as you claim, why doesn't that work?

If I'm wrong I'm wrong but in this case I don't think so. Either way, hardly earth shattering in either event.
Interesting, I never cover the chamber completely, nor increase the draw but the ember is revived.?

Reactions: BROBS and karam
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Interesting, I never cover the chamber completely, nor increase the draw but the ember is revived.?
So you leave 1/4 or more uncovered and it works? Strange how that works for you but has zero effect for me. I suppose the guys who mentioned covering the chamber with a matchbook must have meant they cover 1/2 the chamber.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
As can be seen, some members occasionally use the "One Finger" method ... when conversing er, uh, smoking.
rotf

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
So you leave 1/4 or more uncovered and it works? Strange how that works for you but has zero effect for me. I suppose the guys who mentioned covering the chamber with a matchbook must have meant they cover 1/2 the chamber.
Yep, a gap between my fingers. The chamber is never completely closed off. The matchbook won't completely seal the chamber unless it is pressed against it. Airflow though limited is still allowed. Why is it so important for you for me to be wrong?

Reactions: Briar Baron
Status
Not open for further replies.