PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Alaskans get addicted to the cold. If they come down to a more moderate climate, they feel like they are living in sin. I grew up in the Chicago area, which is hardly Alaska, but I was attracted to walking in the cold. I walked from a train station to the lakefront one time at 9 below, alone at night. Not smart ordinarily, but at that temperature, if you didn't freeze to death, you were pretty safe. No one was out. When you're young, you're nuts anyway.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I used to do that off my apartment balcony when I lived in Minnesota. Once the air temp got below -15 f or so, a cup of boiling water was guaranteed to freeze into a snow/ice mixture before it hit the ground. Cool!

Then I moved to Arizona, where I was able to make hot tea outside during the summer when it was over 110 f.

Now I’m in southern Ohio where I don’t have to deal with either extreme.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I think Alaskans get addicted to the cold. If they come down to a more moderate climate, they feel like they are living in sin. I grew up in the Chicago area, which is hardly Alaska, but I was attracted to walking in the cold. I walked from a train station to the lakefront one time at 9 below, alone at night. Not smart ordinarily, but at that temperature, if you didn't freeze to death, you were pretty safe. No one was out. When you're young, you're nuts anyway.
I lived in Chicago for a while. I remember winters getting brutally cold. I lived by Wrigley - walked to the red line and remember turning the corner on Clark to walk down Addison to El. Man, that wind whipping down the street like it was coming out of a tunnel from the lake - and then having to wait on the platform…Brrrr… But, some of the snowfalls in the city when no wind at night were pretty cool.

Reactions: STP

Derby

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2020
It got so cold in parts of Minnesota this winter that if you were outside and said something your words just froze in the air and dropped to the ground. When they thaw out in the Spring it’s like the Tower of Babel. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
By and large, the upper mid-West of the US is a lot more miserable a place in winter than my part of Alaska. Those barbed wire fences in Saskatchewan do little to slow the those Siberian zephyrs coming over the Pole.

Up north folks in the small towns stay home in weather which isn't much worse than Chicago with the wind and "lake effect." Nope, balmy Southcentral Alaska is an Eden compared to a lot of the US mid-West.