PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

djgilx

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2014
Dover, England
Greetings from the south of England!
I am a priest so I like tobaccos with Christian or religious names!!
I have enjoyed Three Nuns for years, and I know a lot more than three nuns!! And none (nun?!) of them smoke pipes!!
Does anyone know how this tobacco got its name?

Three nuns die and go to heaven, where they are greeted by St Peter, who tells them that everyone entering heaven must pass an IQ test, but since they were nuns and had devoted their lives to Jesus, the questions would be really easy.
St Peter turned to the first nun and said, “Name three of Jesus’ disciples.”
“Oh that’s easy,” the first nun replied, “Matthew, John, and James.”
The bells rang and the lights flashed and the pearly gates opened and the first nun entered.
St Peter turned to the second nun and asked, “Who was Moses?”
The nun confidently replies, “Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt into the promised land.”
The bells rang and the lights flashed and the pearly gates opened a second time and the second nun entered.
Finally, St Peter addresses the third nun. “What was the first thing Eve said when she saw Adam?”
The third nun paused for a moment and muttered, “Gosh, that’s a hard one.”
And the bells rang and the lights flashed and the pearly gates opened.

AngueraCoyra

Lurker
Nov 28, 2023
Brasília, Brazil
Greetings from the south of England!
I am a priest so I like tobaccos with Christian or religious names!!
I have enjoyed Three Nuns for years, and I know a lot more than three nuns!! And none (nun?!) of them smoke pipes!!
Does anyone know how this tobacco got its name?
Answering honestly, I believe it has to do with the aromas of the blend. They masterfully emulate the smell of an old house in Europe: made of wood, well cleaned, full of stories and old people. Maybe what a convent should smell like, definitely reminds me of my grandmother's home.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
everyone entering heaven must pass an IQ test
My eyes read this as "a 1Q test" which of course makes sense. Weed out all the freight-trainers! I'd be praying it came pre-dried (who has time or foresight to dry a bowlful of it on their death bed?), but on the plus side, the inevitable trip down to the fire & brimstone wouldn't be so bad--surely it'd stay lit down there!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Glad you identified yourself early on, Father…

I mean, before all of the Nun Jokes get started.

But I see it’s made little difference.

Glad you’re enjoying Three Nuns. (No Nun Intended)
Have you read any Francois Rabelais? If that guy could swing both his main jobs then I think our Padre can handle some blue jokes.
On to the original post, my understanding is it's just a reference to the three main leaf components of the blend.
That said I am really not sure why some many people here thought Priest asking a sincere question he needs some kinky jokes.

Reactions: AcesAndEights
Have you read any Francois Rabelais? If that guy could swing both his main jobs then I think our Padre can handle some blue jokes.
On to the original post, my understanding is it's just a reference to the three main leaf components of the blend.
That said I am really not sure why some many people here thought Priest asking a sincere question he needs some kinky jokes.
Do you know many priests? Some of the most outrageous jokes I've ever heard were told to me by priests.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
My eyes read this as "a 1Q test" which of course makes sense. Weed out all the freight-trainers! I'd be praying it came pre-dried (who has time or foresight to dry a bowlful of it on their death bed?), but on the plus side, the inevitable trip down to the fire & brimstone wouldn't be so bad--surely it'd stay lit down there!
me too. One of my jokes originating from High School involves can it really be paradise if all the people that do certain wonderful yet sinful acts aren't allowed in? Also the cleaner version is how can you really say the better place is the one where Pat Boone is the best musician not the one where Jimi Hendrix can jam with one of the classical composers?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Do you know many priests? Some of the most outrageous jokes I've ever heard were told to me by priests.
You clearly don't know who Francois is. Well he was a monk but he also wrote silly but dirty stories.
Oh and I won't believe you unless you share a few of those jokes, actually I just want to have more outrageous jokes. I'll tell you the two that I introduced this sheltered cloistered 18 old kid too. By the way I think they were the first dirty jokes he ever heard.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Greetings from just above you, experiment, don't just stick to one tobacco, 3 Nuns is nice but we are blest in the UK with many great tobaccos and we should support them, happy smoking. puffy

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
No response from the OP I notice.
Might be okay to start telling a few nun jokes?
I shan’t risk it however. Disrespect the sisterhood at your peril!
IMG_6473.gif

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
A long time ago in a far away universe I worked in an office in the City of London in the days when you could smoke at your desk in the office. I used to smoke my pipe until my boss complained about the smell. In those days I would occasionally buy those small round tins of 'Three Nuns' tobacco from the railway tobacco kiosk. I remember my boss walking past my desk and picking up the tin of Three Nuns tobacco. His comment was priceless and went something like 'Simon, Three Nuns tobacco. I suggest you have none today, none tomorrow and none the day after unless you would like to find employment elsewhere'. I resigned the next day. Strangely enough I interviewed him for a job opening about six months later and made a point of smoking my pipe through his entire interview! The 1980s were a fun time before the advent of the tyranny of the H.R Department.

• Love
Reactions: FLDRD and simong