PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Also....I haved jarred the tobacco. When I don't see the tin, it is a nice smoke. I just can't accept it being the Three Nuns I used to cherish.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Just get over the fact that its not the same smoke and if you like the new blending great, if not trade it off.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
It is clear, that this new Three Nuns reincarnation is far away from the original, but even if you forget the name, it's by no means a great blend. There are many better VarBurs and selling a mediocre blend with a famous name is just lame, which I definitely wouldn't have expected from MacBaren.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
@peter70.... I didn't think it was horrible. It is one of my least favorite from Mac Baren but not that bad. It is worth a smoke. I wish the original blend would come back but I would not worry about not recommending this blend because it didn't live up to the original. Enjoy it for what it is... A good decent blend using a famous name.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I agree it's not horrible. But you pay a premium for the name. Smokingpipes has it for $12.12, not far off from Dunhill DNR @ $13.35 which is a coin style VaPer of the highest order, like the classic Three Nuns. The similar Escudo is $9.91.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Now I understand why you don't understand my complaints! I looked into the reviews Kevin mentioned. I think, the blend you have seen the US is the Mac Baren product only. May that be correct? Before this abomination reached you, Orlik made it. I compare it to the Orlik version, which you probably not ever saw.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
drcarlo:
I don't think it's a matter of not understanding your complaints. But maybe this topic has been thoroughly played out here. I mean, over the last year or two there have been a LOT of posts about this. . .
Bob

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
drcarlo,
You obviously didn't read the articles thoroughly.
America did have the Three Nuns blend that was a VaPer a long time ago. It left the shores of North America, around fifteen years ago, as a VaPer. Shortly after it left the shores of North America the blending house changed the recipe for all production of Three Nuns to a VaBur instead of a VaPer. That's why Mac Baren is producing Three Nuns as a VaBur and it doesn't taste like the Three Nuns of ten years ago, because it was changed by the previous blender ten years ago. Mac Baren didn't change the recipe. The recipe they purchased was the current one which is a VaBur. It's been a VaBur in Europe for almost ten years now.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
drcarlo is obvioulsy not located in the US, so he smoked the Orlik VaPer, as well as the Orlik VaBur blend. His gripe is with the MacBaren VaBur not being the same quality, as the Orlik VarBur, to which I agree. I don't even compare to the VaPer, as it would be to compare apples to oranges. What I do not understand, is, that MacBaren can produce very good VaBurs and coins, but they did IMO not succeed on Three Nuns.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
So what would I have been smoking in the early 90's in America? I was honestly not aware there were so many changes in a long standing mix such as this. Very interesting that economic issues rear their ugly head in this hobby, although I should not be surprised. Still, the spirit and high end tobacco market is one of the few markets left that value craftsmanship and a no holds barred approach to quality.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As a complete after thought to this thread. It might interest you lot to know that a mid 1990s square style tin of Three Nunns has shown up on the site of a well known and much maligned auction organization for $22.00. I don't own this tin but I am bidding on it as this whole thread peaked my curiosity and I am curious to see how much change has taken place in this blend!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
A true VaPer tin of 3 Nuns will bring some serious change on eBay.
The "new" 3 Nuns isn't a bad smoke it just isn't what us old timers want.

Status
Not open for further replies.