PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'd be with the great grain, unattractive shape school of thought in this thread. But, the great grain got me to thinking about the big, old free-hands of that era I've handled and wonder if it was pretty typical for them to have great grain. The Ben Wade free-hand I have of that era has the best grain of any of my pipes.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
As dmctk said, it's similar to the Sven Knudsen pipe he linked. But I would say so similar that it's 70% the same shape. But I like how the bowl and the shank/stem are reduced to their elemental shapes in a Cubist reduction; but as a rule I don't like freehands and would not buy it even as a conversation piece.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Beautiful! I'd be thrilled to own that pipe, weather comfortable to hold or not, I would definitely have a place for that one in my rotation.

Funny how we all have such different tastes in pipes. ex. I would NEVER own or smoke a volcano shape **IMO that is the ugliest/ clunkiest shape I've ever seen**, but many pipe smokers love that shape and would call me crazy (or worse names).

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Much as I keep looking for an unusual Holm smoker, I'd have to pass on that one myself too. Down home we'd call that "dog-ugly." Still, it's a conversation starter & a PH, so....

Status
Not open for further replies.