PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
machine made with a lot of sloppiness in fit and finish
Hogwash.
I own 13 Italian made Stanwell's all of them less than two years old. Not one is "sloppy in fit and finish".
smfh

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I have a bent pot, and bent acorn. Both of them are from the brushed black line. One is my dedicated Lakeland pipe and the other is for burleys. I have no complaints about how either smoke but the bits are way too small for me to clench and not feel like I'm going to break them.
I made my humble starter collection out of $50-$80 pipes and these smoke as well as the Sav. and Petersons of the same price range. I still think my Brigham pipes were the best bang for the cheapskate like myself.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
This is not to say that they are not good pipes. But I am betting laid side by side with a Danish made Stanwell there is a difference that is not terribly hard to find.

I would challenge you to show an example from anywhere that displays a noticeable difference between a dane stan and one made in italy. Pick whatever stock photo or a link to a comparison from anywhere you like.
Itailian stanwells are made on the same equipment as danish stanwells were. As in, they were imported. I realize that the way an italian presses the on button may be slightly different from a dane, but the button hardly knows the difference. It just recognize on or off. The same applies to the preformed stems.
Hand made stanwells are excluded from discussion because no one is buying a hand made pipe anywhere near the prices mentioned in this thread.
the Ayetalion made ones
and
For the most part, the ones that smell like garlic appear to be mostly machine made

What is all this racist garbage? This enlightened thinking certainly underscores the logic behind this argument.
Lastly, when was the last time someone complained about shoddy craftsmanship of savinelli or costello...et al?

Aug 14, 2012
My first non drugstore pipes were Stanwells in the 1950s. I liked the shapes. They cost $18, which was only $4 less than a Dunhill, at the time. They were never really good, but were acceptable for a small smoke. I got a few several years ago. The best of those , made in Denmark, was OK but not good. The one made in Italy was garbage. Brand over, as far as I am concerned.

laytonpipes

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
Stanwells are the best quality pipes in their price category. It looks like they use shellac instead of varnish like Peterson. The stem fit is excellent and they even polish the end of the tenons.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
An example:

Stanwell gilt edge (made in Denmark) VS Stanwell POTY 2010 (w/o filter & 9mm filter)

uc

uc

Year 2009 seems to be the last year that Stanwell pipes were still made in Denmark. And for these two POTY 2010, rumor is that the pipe heads of the non-filter version were made in Denmark and I suspect the pipe heads of the 2010 chubby 9mm version were already possibly Italian production though I really hope not, the bowl chamber coating smells different its non-filter counterpart, and the sandblast stain looks a bit different without the reddish undertone, and is less detailed in the sandblasting. While the mouthpieces of the POTYs are both acrylic and were probably made in Italian, the Stanwell Gilt edge pipe has obviously good briar and the mouthpiece is made of ebonite --- with much much nicer touch for the teeth and for the lips because it is softer and it can also be crafted thinner.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
I do not own any Stanwells in my collection yet, but I plan on it. They seem to be a good value for the price, and they have some nice designs. Although they are now a "factory, machine-made pipe" for the most part, I've yet to hear anyone say that they are poor smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.