PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Was toying with picking up a few tins, as it seems pretty much right up my alley. I'm dangerously close to the SWMBO-approved quarter 1 spending limit for TAD based adventures, and this purchase would put me at said limit. That said, I'm a fan of McC's Bombay Court, Orient 996, Yenidje Supreme, Drama Reserve, Ashton Revival Pebblecut, and GLP's Cairo (as far as Oriental-forward blends are concerned).
Any thoughts, comments, or comparisons to make this final (approved) purchase for the next three months?
Thanks-

seanMoses

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
That's funny... I am about to order this one too along with a couple other Rattray's blends. Never tried any of em, but this one sounds good and has high reviews.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
It's been years since I last smoked RR but I can say that I've never met and English/Oriental fan that didn't absolutely love the stuff. When I first started pipes it seemed like Rattray was all the rage and these days it's kind of become one of the brands you don't read about as much on forums.
Most of the reviews you'll see are pretty much dead on. The blend has a brilliant complexity to it and packs and burns with little effort. Definitely a keeper if you are a fan of this type.
Makes me think I should pop a tin here soon :)

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It is really good. Its very soft on the palate and the orientals really shine nicely. It goes best with a pipe that has not had any heavy English in it as that will mute the orientals. Does well in a VA or VAPER pipe. RR is not one to smoke fast or you will miss out on the orientals. With some age on it, it is really outstanding. I would recommend getting a little to put back for a couple years. If you do end up liking it and wish to cellar some, the bulk is a great way to go.
There is a big debate on whether there is latakia in it or not. I think there is a little bit but only in condiment strength. The main focus is the red VA and orientals.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Well, I didn't need a ton of prodding, apparently. Five tins on their way. My mouth is already watering in anticipation! When they get here, they'll end up cellared for a while until i finish off some open tins. Got too many open right now anyway. :lol:
But the order has been placed! Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.