PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I build up strength in my jaws by chewing golf balls, ha ha. You weaklings.
You manly man...a man's man...the manliest man in all of mankind...the man every man wants to be! In fact kemosahbee, you are such a man that only a man can recognize you as a man...and in the immortal words of the great philosopher Rick Flair, in order to beat the man you have to be a man, and baby...I'm the MAN! WOOOO :ROFLMAO:

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
You manly man...a man's man...the manliest man in all of mankind...the man every man wants to be! In fact kemosahbee, you are such a man that only a man can recognize you as a man...and in the immortal words of the great philosopher Rick Flair, in order to beat the man you have to be a man, and baby...I'm the MAN! WOOOO :ROFLMAO:
Actually, I think I said that wrong...it's 'in order to be a man, you have to beat the man, and baby...I'm the MAN! WOOO'...yeah, that's it...god I'm gettin old!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jezze, eons ago I used to see Rick Flair working out at the "Y." We looked like twins -- NOT. The trouble with really big pipes is that you have to know in advance you really like the blend you pack, and you have to like it for two hours. With medium size pipes, you can pack it with the same again, or different, depending on your mood.

Last edited:
Jezze, eons ago I used to see Rick Flair working out the "Y." We looked like twins -- NOT. The trouble with really big pipes is that you have to know in advance you really like the blend you pack, and you have to like it for two hours. With medium size pipes, you can pack it with the same again, or different, depending on your mood.
I don't find that big pipes give you an extraordinarily long smoke. I had posted a few years ago about
width X's depth run down.
a 1" x 2" pipe (which is extraordinarily large for most pipes) will smoke for just as long as a .7" x 1.4" pipe... plus, most of what these guys are talking about is the amount of wood used, except is a few of those ridiculously large pipes posted.

I also find that a .7" x 2" pipe will smoke for a whole lot longer than a 1" x 1.5" pipe.

The differences is the volume of smoke, which affects the flavors and experience.

• Wow
Reactions: olkofri
And the amount of tongue bite?
Actually, the exact opposite. Some of the brighter Virginias will bite my tongue like a rabid pit bull when smoked in a more narrow pipe chamber, but same blend in a wider chamber is way more smooth on my tongue. I've been switching between .5" all the way up to over 1" wide pipes, and when I hear someone say that pipe size makes no difference on taste, I know them for either inexperienced with real variance in pipe sizes or liars... I guess it could be that they just have no sense of taste also. puffy

Also, I find that heavy hitting burleys also come across much more smooth in my larger pipes than the smaller ones.

Reactions: burleyboy

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Also, I find that heavy hitting burleys also come across much more smooth in my larger pipes than the smaller ones.
Those basterds are what I'm worried about. My logic (which can be wrong) is that if the volume of smoke of a biting blend increases, the tongue bite will increase in direct proportion. I've been smoking burleys in small pipes with balsa filters. Once I tried one in a small **cough cough** cob (Morgan with long stem, filterless), and it bit like a mutant snapping turtle before I had even smoked half the bowl.

Nevertheless, I'm gonna try your suggestions with my largest pipe and see.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.