PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I have two BNs and I like them both. Each is a very petite bowl and both have pencil stems. Anyone else smoke them and have an opinion? I just placed an order with him for a Chubby Bulldog.

Reactions: dmcmtk and kwg116

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I do not own one, but I follow him on Instagram and his pipes look beautiful. Out of his three lines I find myself drooling over Heritage Series and plan on adding a Bing to my collection. I would love to see details of his stem work, thickness/thinness of the button and what kind of funneling does he do on the draft hole. Looking forward to other comments

Reactions: dmcmtk

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
His pipes' chambers are too small for my liking, but his work is very clean and elegant.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Au Contraire Chér Messieurs, as far as their Heritage line goes and particularly those of The Bigs models I can only say that the chamber size in these is standard medium size a ca 19,00-19,20mm wide and depth is like 37-38mm, moreover, drilling is dead center perfect (4mm) stem button shaping is great (funneled slot and so is how it is fitted to the shank, the quality of briar is satisfactory, no visible fills,a thin varnish coating has been applied to bowls which eventually fades away,at least in my case,so I'm pretty satisfied and can only recommend, Nuttens pipes definitely remind me of other French made pipes with the exception that draw /airflow in these Nuttens is wide openCIMG0365.JPG

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know his pipes, but I like the looks of the one photo. Small chambers can give full length smokes with flake, coin, plug and rope cuts. It's important to note that these are not, not pocket pipes with their slender shanks and stems. They are long enough that leverage will snap them with seemingly little pressure. Likewise, some versions of pencil shank/stem pipes have restricted airways and can clog with regular old pipe cleaner fluff. But I love that lithe look, very snappy and urbane looking.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Au Contraire Chér Messieurs, as far as their Heritage line goes and particularly those of The Bigs models I can only say that the chamber size in these is standard medium size a ca 19,00-19,20mm wide and depth is like 37-38mm, moreover, drilling is dead center perfect (4mm) stem button shaping is great (funneled slot and so is how it is fitted to the shank, the quality of briar is satisfactory, no visible fills,a thin varnish coating has been applied to bowls which eventually fades away,at least in my case,so I'm pretty satisfied and can only recommend, Nuttens pipes definitely remind me of other French made pipes with the exception that draw /airflow in these Nuttens is wide openView attachment 25879
38mm still falls below the smallest pipes I keep. Too small for me as 45mm is the smallest I keep though I prefer 51mm. Still, very lovely pieces.

• Wow
Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Au Contraire Chér Messieurs, as far as their Heritage line goes and particularly those of The Bigs models I can only say that the chamber size in these is standard medium size a ca 19,00-19,20mm wide and depth is like 37-38mm, moreover, drilling is dead center perfect (4mm) stem button shaping is great (funneled slot and so is how it is fitted to the shank, the quality of briar is satisfactory, no visible fills,a thin varnish coating has been applied to bowls which eventually fades away,at least in my case,so I'm pretty satisfied and can only recommend, Nuttens pipes definitely remind me of other French made pipes with the exception that draw /airflow in these Nuttens is wide openView attachment 25879
Love gettin educated! She’s a beaut & looks like a classic.☕

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shirt pockets work for slender pipes, it's true, like carrying a pen. But the warning applies to anyone who would absentmindedly slide it into the back or front pocket of your pants or even the lower side pocket of a sports jacket, though a chest-high inside pocket of a jacket works. But you have to make a habit of it, a compulsion. Otherwise, for pocket pipes, use the short pipes with thick shanks and stems, most of which seem unbreakable. I hate to break pipes.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Shirt pockets work for slender pipes, it's true, like carrying a pen. But the warning applies to anyone who would absentmindedly slide it into the back or front pocket of your pants or even the lower side pocket of a sports jacket, though a chest-high inside pocket of a jacket works. But you have to make a habit of it, a compulsion. Otherwise, for pocket pipes, use the short pipes with thick shanks and stems, most of which seem unbreakable. I hate to break pipes.
Yeah, I would never place them anywhere but a front shirt pocket wrapped in a pipe sock to keep them from jostling about.

Status
Not open for further replies.