PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
When I've seen the Talamona Marco Polo in photos before it would catch my eye as a curiosity. Having no experience with Talamona pipes, I have been hesitant to go out on a limb for something new and reviews are a little scarce. When this one popped up on eBay, I put it on my watch list just out of curiosity but the price was too high to justify adding yet another pipe to the lineup. After the price kept dropping and finally settled at $45 for several weeks, I decided to give it a go.

It turned out to be an easy refresh and a satisfying find. I like curves in a pipe and longer stems have grown on me, especially when just relaxing. At 7 and a quarter inches with a near straight drop, this pipe is perfect for supporting in the hand while resting the elbow on an arm rest and the near straight drop makes it an easy jaw hanger. Distance and drop also make it easy to see the bowl when lighting since my eyes aren't what they used to be. Surprisingly, it is making a very comfortable driving pipe. The briar is nice and there are no visible fills with a smoothly integrated horn shank extension. With an nice draw, this has also turned out to be a very nice and easy smoker, one of my best. Taking a chance on this, definitely different, pipe turned out to be a happy decision and I hope all the Talamona pipes out there smoke as well as this one.

20240204_094557.jpg

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I don't have any (I do have a Croci I like well enough though) - however my favourite B&M stocks them & they said that they're fantastic value for money.

In any case, glad you caught a keeper!

Reactions: Lost Somnambulist

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
I don't have any (I do have a Croci I like well enough though) - however my favourite B&M stocks them & they said that they're fantastic value for money.

In any case, glad you caught a keeper!
The few reviews I have found seem to match what you're saying. They appear to have a decent reputation as being a good value for the money. It's a good reminder that interesting and enjoyable pipes don't always have to cost a fortune.

Reactions: Toast

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
I've got a Talamoma (lower right pipe below). It is an outlier in my collection... but is such a great smoker, I have held on to it for a few years. BTW, the other two pipes in the photo are long gone LOL.

View attachment 286446
That's a good looking pipe! I've got a few pipes hanging out in a drawer that I should be following your example and let go. It's been an adventure discovering the pipes that have that "just right" feel.

Reactions: Humblepipe