PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
And another thing... Is it so that when you open a lid of a Zippo, it starts spitting gas? Then you light, and flame burns until you close the lid? This is propably general knowledge, but Never have used Zippo, just make assumptions based on what I have heard.
A zippo is like a candle with a lid. It is an oil soaked fabric instead of being wax covered fabric.
The wick is full of fuel (unless it is empty) and will ignite with a spark, staying lit until the lid is shut.
They didn't have fidget toys when I was a kid, I had a zippo but kids could not purchase fuel. It was still fun to open, close, and flip between my fingers. It is quite enjoyable to hold a small item of quality workmanship.

Another note: I went to youtube to see how blind people managed cigarettes. Found a guy that used a zippo for a number of years, but eventually switched to bic lighters.

No rule that says you can't have more than one type. I generally carry a couple of zippos, a couple books of matches (in seperate pockets) and a bic in my briefcase. Oh, and I got a refillable butane pipe lighter last month to try the "lighter plus tools in one" option.
Zippos are not horribly expensive and feel good in the hand, you won't regret it even if you end up deciding to use something else in the future. At least get one to learn how it works.

Last edited:

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
The Man from the South is also, I guess originally, a short story by Roald Dahl. Very intense stuff! And so was Grandma by King. I think it was in Skeleton Crew, too.

You guess 100% correctly! Imagine that, famous children's book author writes one of the most memorably twisted gore-stories of all time...

Good call !!!

- Sherm Natman

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My closest pipe smoking friend is blind from birth. I don't know, but I guess he is far from typical of sight impaired people. He lives in the Queens borough of NYC. He is a musician and composer of electronic music. He runs regularly and navigates around Manhattan (and all of those open stairways to the basements of large buildings and subway entrances/exits). He does distance running with a friend and hikes in the mountains with other friends.

He uses a cane to get around, and some echo location tricks. He cooks elaborately magnificent food. When I met him, he put me through a sort of interview to see if I was accepting of his situation. When we got to pipes, I mentioned I smoked a pipe, and he lit up -- oh pipes! Things went immediately better.

I have to admit, I'm not sure I could maintain good balance without eyesight. He navigates his house all the time barefoot without breaking his toes. He is not a normal blind person, nor a normal person. He travels alone. He gets grants to go overseas alone.

He taught a class of minority kids on one grant, and they tested him and started addressing him in a kind of mock formal way. He said, "I don't know what kind of white people you've been seeing, but this isn't me." Things got immediately better.

When he went to one doctor, the doctor, looking at his computer, asked if a new medicine had affected his eyesight in any way. My friend assured him it had had absolutely no effect on his eyesight. Oh well.

I make no assumptions. This guy's read everything, been everywhere, leaves a new location knowing more about the layout and furnishings than the people who own the place, etc. I just hang on and try to do my best to keep up.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I must admit I have kind of bad attitude towards Bics. It has nothing to do with their quality, handiness, reliability or any other features; I'm sure they are very good and reasonable choice. It just happens to be that when I was a kid, many people had bics, tougher guys had Colts, and those who were really cool, strong and beyond pityful mortals, had Zippos. So I'd rather move from Colt to Zippo, than from Colt to Bic. :D

I almost decided on Zippo, but if it has to be burnt for couple of seconds before lighting, I'm not so sure anymore. I guess I'll bet on Pipemaster nevertheless, and buy Zippo when it breaks down. Maybe I will even get my wife to refill it for me.
Whatever you decide is fine with me & I assume the rest of us. As long as it brings you joy, then by all means, carry on. That’s my favorite part about this pastime. We all have our own idiosyncrasies & rituals, but there are very few wrong ways to do it.

Reactions: mithridate

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
For my reading pleasure, The other thread is better. The guy got what he needed, we met some more blind smokers, and the other nitwits learned something.

Reactions: aspiring_sage

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
Well now, I hope it's time for closing ceremony or something like that. A few last words..., at least from my part.

First of all, thanks everyone for sharing thoughts about lighters, blindness, and my original highly debatable post. Once more I want to express my apologies for it - and these will be last of those - and assure you guys it was not meant to be insulting or pointing to anyone. If it was directed against something, it was against prejudice and too cautious approach, which, as I said, are understandable, but not preferable. However, being now wiser afterwards, as human beings always have been and will be, I would likely leave much of that post unwritten. But it's not turning time backwards, so let's smoke our pipes, move on, and have a good time doing both. For myself I'm going to meet my Old Dominion Williamsburg, which is waiting to be packed and smoked until it'll warm my entire hand in chilly Finnish spring. Propably it'll warm my mind as well. Smoking a pipe tends to do so.

UGH!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Well now, I hope it's time for closing ceremony or something like that. A few last words..., at least from my part.

First of all, thanks everyone for sharing thoughts about lighters, blindness, and my original highly debatable post. Once more I want to express my apologies for it - and these will be last of those - and assure you guys it was not meant to be insulting or pointing to anyone. If it was directed against something, it was against prejudice and too cautious approach, which, as I said, are understandable, but not preferable. However, being now wiser afterwards, as human beings always have been and will be, I would likely leave much of that post unwritten. But it's not turning time backwards, so let's smoke our pipes, move on, and have a good time doing both. For myself I'm going to meet my Old Dominion Williamsburg, which is waiting to be packed and smoked until it'll warm my entire hand in chilly Finnish spring. Propably it'll warm my mind as well. Smoking a pipe tends to do so.

UGH!
Don't sweat it.

I can think of a few times it would have been nice to have a longer edit window, lol, but it's because this place is so overwhelming in its general supportiveness, even when it's not, haha, that I say . . . don't sweat it.

Reactions: mithridate

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
'm my self visually impaired - in medical terms blind - but I can see a little bit.
I just read through your whole post and all the responses. I've had all this on my mind a lot lately. By definition, I'm moderately visually impaired at this point--the best I could do looking through the refractor at the ophthalmologist earlier this week was about 20/60 to 20/80, and then some of that was really just guessing at the letters. I mean, I had a 1 in 26 chance of guessing right although I guess the probability goes down when you consider D looks like O or C or even G, and then the same thing with F, E, P, and B. They all look about the same. Add together about 17 diopters of nearsightedness + cataracts + excessive vitreous floaters and it's the perfect storm. It's both better and worse than it sounds since the real-world scenario is different depending on light conditions, and the left eye is not quite as bad as the right. Lucky for me, about an inch or two from my nose is still clear enough to read without glasses, and with them on, things within several feet are clear enough for me to function. It's like my brain is somehow filling in the gaps. Further away gets steadily blurrier, but I'm still able to drive--very carefully (I'm the guy driving 45 MPH you're behind cussing at and wanting to pass). I live in the so-called middle of nowhere, so I might meet one or two vehicles going to town, and I generally stick to the roads I've been driving on for the past thirty years. It's not like I'm trying to drive through downtown Atlanta at night. I can do what I need to do to make a living, keep the house up, work in the yard, read, use a computer, etc. and of course, smoke a pipe.

The doctor seemed to think cataract surgery is a good possibility if things get too bad, but then that carries its own set of risks since the longer the axial length, as with extreme nearsightedness, the greater the chance of retinal detachment, which would/could be a whole lot worse than where I am now. The surgery would solve some problems, though, if it went well, since they can pick an intraocular lens power to put in that gets you much closer to needing much less visual correction. But I'm not sitting around feeling sorry for myself in the mean time. I focus on the 80-85% I can see rather than the 15-20% I can't although I have to admit I get mildly pissed off over the fact that no matter how hard I look at something sometimes, I'm simply not capable of perceiving what I'm looking at. But it is what it is, as they say, and my task is to figure it out.

On to pipe smoking: I find that prepping the tobacco and packing the pipe are more tactile, so that is not a problem. Like you said, you know when it goes out, too, even if you can't see it. Lighting it hasn't been a problem. A Bic works just fine. And I can see the smoke. But I was worried about burning embers unbeknownst to me falling out during early tamping and setting the chair or rug on fire or something, so I came up with a solution. I use a pewter tray like the one pictured for my pipe tray. So after the first light, the tobacco rises up, and sometimes the same thing happens after the second. With the pipe in my mouth, the tamper in my right hand, and holding the tray in my left, when I tamp and relight, anything falling out goes in the tray. Then, too, I can sit the pipe in the tray in such a way that it is upright and not worry about it falling on the carpet or rug. I can sit the tamper and lighter in the same tray, and then the ash sticking to the tamper doesn't get everywhere. I'm probably worrying too much about it, but I really don't want to burn the house down. pewter.jpg